Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Onan oil change now not running
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Onan oil change now not running

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/18 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First thing is re-check the oil level. also the fuel level. Filters (Fuel and air) but I doubt those. Fuel is possible though. Beyond that I can not help much. I'm good at stops when you release the button, but not otherwise.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/18 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dying after several minutes would seem to be heat related to me. I've heard that the fuel pumps somewhat often get heat-sensitive when they're dying or dead. These are pretty standard low-pressure electric fuel pumps, not difficult to get from auto parts stores etc. It's located underneath the starter solenoid and control boards on the left side of the generator; some quality time with a Torx screwdriver will get it out.

I think I've heard of a case where the coil also became heat-sensitive and would cut out after several minutes here, but that's not quite so common. It's possible that other electrical parts could similarly have trouble. I would check or replace the fuel pump first.

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/18 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another vote for oil level. If you have problems after an oil change the chances are high that the problem is directly related to something you did wrong during the oil change - take out a little oil and see if that resolves the issue (low cost potential fix).

Kevin

bounder39zman

SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/18 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the earlier models of 4KY (MicroLite 4000) used a low oil level safety switch in oil sump. I have seen this problem happen after oil change.
when oil is drained, the float on switch drops, then sticks at low position and does not come back up when oil is refilled. Onan did away with this switch somewhere around 96-97....and sent out service bulletin advising that the wire to the switch be disconnected. If you post complete model and spec, i.e 4KYFA26100_?, can determine if this applies to your genset.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/18 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wouldn't the oil level switch keep the engine from running at all, rather than let it run for 5-10 minutes before killing it? What's the use of a low oil switch if it lets you run for several minutes with insufficient lubrication?

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/18 08:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 4KY in a utility trailer. If the oil level is at the minimum level, it will run for about 5 minutes until it gets enough oil thrown around to trip the low oil shutdown. Once it all drips back down, it will restart and run for another 5 minutes or so. Make sure you are at the max level on the dipstick (not over) rather than at the min.

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy

kx125str99

santa clarita

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 06:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey guys so I finally had some time this weekend to get to storage and tinker with the generator. Ended up adjusting the idle screw. Runs bitchen now. Thanks for all the help guys.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 05:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kx125str99 wrote:

Hey guys so I finally had some time this weekend to get to storage and tinker with the generator. Ended up adjusting the idle screw. Runs bitchen now. Thanks for all the help guys.

1. Idle screw problem would NOT allow it to run 10 minutes and then die
2. You NEVER have to mess with the Idle screw at all. It is preset to a specific RPM(3600) and changing it will allow the voltage to change
3. It ran OK before Oil change? I doubt you messed with the Idle screw on a simple oil change.
4. While you THINK you found the problem, you have not. You need to check the NO load 120 voltage now, before you burn up any appliances. Doug

azrving

Quartzsite

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

kx125str99 wrote:

1. Idle screw problem would NOT allow it to run 10 minutes and then die
2. You NEVER have to mess with the Idle screw at all. It is preset to a specific RPM(3600) and changing it will allow the voltage to change
3. It ran OK before Oil change? I doubt you messed with the Idle screw on a simple oil change.
4. While you THINK you found the problem, you have not. You need to check the NO load 120 voltage now, before you burn up any appliances. Doug

LOL, mind reader.

kx125str99

santa clarita

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well considering my electrical background which is what I do everyday. I have already checked the voltage out. And in. And since I was there working on it. Witnessed it run for an hour while doing other things. I would say that adjusting the screw worked. Thanks.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Onan oil change now not running
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS