Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Onan oil change now not running
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Onan oil change now not running

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
kx125str99

santa clarita

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could be a fluke thing I’m not sure. But have tried before about 15 times and always dies since oil change.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was that a idle mixture that you adjusted? Some assumed that you adjusted the governed speed.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azrving wrote:

dougrainer wrote:

kx125str99 wrote:

Hey guys so I finally had some time this weekend to get to storage and tinker with the generator. Ended up adjusting the idle screw. Runs bitchen now. Thanks for all the help guys.

1. Idle screw problem would NOT allow it to run 10 minutes and then die
2. You NEVER have to mess with the Idle screw at all. It is preset to a specific RPM(3600) and changing it will allow the voltage to change
3. It ran OK before Oil change? I doubt you messed with the Idle screw on a simple oil change.
4. While you THINK you found the problem, you have not. You need to check the NO load 120 voltage now, before you burn up any appliances. Doug

LOL, mind reader.

Not a Mind reader. Just KNOW what I am talking about and a Governor or Idle screw adjustment will not cause or fix the OP's problem. Whatever is wrong with his Genset, fixed itself, because changing the oil would not really cause his problem unless he failed to put the required amount of oil or overfilled the oil. Question, If you took your Auto to an oil change place and they changed the oil and then the Car died every 10 minutes and they stated they adjusted the idle screw and that fixed it, would you REALLY believe that fixed the problem? Doug

LittleBill

Scranton, PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

azrving wrote:

dougrainer wrote:

kx125str99 wrote:

Hey guys so I finally had some time this weekend to get to storage and tinker with the generator. Ended up adjusting the idle screw. Runs bitchen now. Thanks for all the help guys.

2. You NEVER have to mess with the Idle screw at all. It is preset to a specific RPM(3600) and changing it will allow the voltage to change
3. It ran OK before Oil change? I doubt you messed with the Idle screw on a simple oil change.
4. While you THINK you found the problem, you have not. You need to check the NO load 120 voltage now, before you burn up any appliances. Doug

LOL, mind reader.

Not a Mind reader. Just KNOW what I am talking about and a Governor or Idle screw adjustment will not cause or fix the OP's problem. Whatever is wrong with his Genset, fixed itself, because changing the oil would not really cause his problem unless he failed to put the required amount of oil or overfilled the oil. Question, If you took your Auto to an oil change place and they changed the oil and then the Car died every 10 minutes and they stated they adjusted the idle screw and that fixed it, would you REALLY believe that fixed the problem? Doug

most people have no sense of troubleshooting and or are extremly gulable, i once told a girl i was dating that her tire just fell off, while we were driving at 70mph. 0 issue nothing, she almost flipped the car over trying to get pulled over and was hysterical.

needless to say i don't make that joke anymore....

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember some years back a member had the same problem turned out the oil level sensor was bad.

Retired Anesthetist. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS .Wife and daughter. Three cats which we must obey. Thorp T18, tons of tools and tons of junk.

azrving

Quartzsite

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

azrving wrote:

dougrainer wrote:

kx125str99 wrote:

LOL, mind reader.

NO, I mean you were reading my mind. I agree 100 % with what you just wrote too. I have repaired small engines for 50 years so I know what you mean.

kx125str99

santa clarita

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well when I was adjusting the screw I could hear the engine noise change. It got quieter so I’m gonna go ahead and jump off a limb here and say maybe it was over revving and going into a safety. Iv only had trailer for about 6 months. . When microwave would run it sounded the same as idle. No change. But now it runs like it should. Revs up when under a load. So I’m gonna gonna stick with the idle screw fixed my issue.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kx125str99 wrote:

Well when I was adjusting the screw I could hear the engine noise change. It got quieter so I’m gonna go ahead and jump off a limb here and say maybe it was over revving and going into a safety. Iv only had trailer for about 6 months. . When microwave would run it sounded the same as idle. No change. But now it runs like it should. Revs up when under a load. So I’m gonna gonna stick with the idle screw fixed my issue.

The Onan 4000 watt generator is supposed to run at a constant speed of 3600 rpm, not "rev up" under load—unless by that you mean getting a bit louder while running at (very nearly) the same speed. Since it's a mechanical governor, it will be running at a microscopically slower speed under load, but only a barely noticeable difference, maybe a few percent.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Onan oil change now not running
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS