Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Rough Idle
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Rough Idle

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Paul Clancy

BC Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/18 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jay Pat wrote:

From what I've read, it could be sticktion(?)with one of the injectors.
Arches diesel treatment has been known to eliminate sticktion.
If you can't find it on the shelf at auto parts, I would try any diesel treatment.
Pat

Chevy gmc 6.0 is a gas truck.

Jay Pat

Round Rock, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/18 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Paul Clancy wrote:

Jay Pat wrote:

From what I've read, it could be sticktion(?)with one of the injectors.
Arches diesel treatment has been known to eliminate sticktion.
If you can't find it on the shelf at auto parts, I would try any diesel treatment.
Pat

Chevy gmc 6.0 is a gas truck.

Thanks for the correction.
Pat

2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2011 Keystone, Sprinter 310

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/18 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

-6? Move to a warmer climate. Brrrrrrrrrr

kw/00

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/18 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thunderbolt wrote:

kw/00 wrote:

I had my old one do the same. Intake manifold gaskets were leaking. After I fixed that issue I had the Cpk go out.... that was a easy fix as well! That 6.0 is so built proof that I bought an 09.. my old one had over 200k. So that's my take on it, replace the gaskets with the newer updated ones. Good luck and keep us posted.

I am thinking intake gaskets too from what I am reading. Looks pretty easy to do as well compared to my 5.7 Vortec.

Yes sir and it's a dry intake so easy fix!

A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

Thunderbolt

North Branch, Mn USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/18 10:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I confirmed this morning that my intake gasket is leaking. I started at -4 degrees and once it was off fast idle it started stumbling. I started spraying carb cleaner along the intake and when I got to the driver side rear the engine smoothed out.

Bryan
2003 2500HD Ext. cab short box
6.0 liter 4.10 gears, Nelson performance PCM
98 K1500 4x4 heavy duty 1/2 ton
6,600lb GVWR 5,280lbs on the scale empty
14 bolt rear diff. 3:73 , Tranny and oil coolers
371,000 miles still purrin' like a kitten

LIKE2BUILD

Decatur

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/18 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thunderbolt wrote:

I confirmed this morning that my intake gasket is leaking. I started at -4 degrees and once it was off fast idle it started stumbling. I started spraying carb cleaner along the intake and when I got to the driver side rear the engine smoothed out.

Good catch. Sorry I was wrong on the IAC. I had thought the 6.0L had the same separate IAC as other GM's.

While you have the intake off you might look at the knock sensors. My 6.0L only had 2 problems in 10 years of ownership: exhaust manifold bolts and corroded knock sensors. Both of those are extremely common on the LS motors.

Since you'll have the intake removed it's a great time to inspect the knock sensors and replace if they are corroded. The TSB for the sensors shows to make a dam of RTV around the sensor cover with an opening to the rear. Here is a PDF of TSB #02-06-04-023A.

I have 2 additional suggestions:
1) Remove the foam seals at the front and rear of the intake. In my opinion these help to trap moisture and don't really do much other than a slight sound deadening.

2) Replace the knock sensor harness. On my truck I replaced the rear sensor and not long after kept getting intermittent CEL's for the sensor. It turned out the wiring harness also had issues so once again I removed the intake and replaced the harness. That finally solved the problem for good.

KJ

2012 Sandpiper 32QBBS
'14 Ram 2500 | Crew Cab Long Bed| 4X4 | Cummins TurboDiesel
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'96 Polaris SLT780 PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (18, 11, & 10)
1 forgiving wife!!!

Thunderbolt

North Branch, Mn USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the input. I will plan on looking at the knock sensors and harness.

LIKE2BUILD wrote:

Thunderbolt wrote:

Good catch. Sorry I was wrong on the IAC. I had thought the 6.0L had the same separate IAC as other GM's.

While you have the intake off you might look at the knock sensors. My 6.0L only had 2 problems in 10 years of ownership: exhaust manifold bolts and corroded knock sensors. Both of those are extremely common on the LS motors.

Since you'll have the intake removed it's a great time to inspect the knock sensors and replace if they are corroded. The TSB for the sensors shows to make a dam of RTV around the sensor cover with an opening to the rear. Here is a PDF of TSB #02-06-04-023A.

I have 2 additional suggestions:
1) Remove the foam seals at the front and rear of the intake. In my opinion these help to trap moisture and don't really do much other than a slight sound deadening.

2) Replace the knock sensor harness. On my truck I replaced the rear sensor and not long after kept getting intermittent CEL's for the sensor. It turned out the wiring harness also had issues so once again I removed the intake and replaced the harness. That finally solved the problem for good.

KJ

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe the issue starts with the bow tie they tried to dress it up with!! Sorry, couldn’t resist.

I also agree with a vacuumed leak, possible a sticking EGR if the 6.0 has one.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 16yrs
Daughter Marissa 15yrs
Dog Bailey

07 Cherokee 32B Dexter EZ Flex
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese DualCam Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!

Thunderbolt

North Branch, Mn USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well if the intake gasket doesn't fix it instead of me pushing it, You could drive up to MN and RAM it for me. [emoticon]

dodge guy wrote:

I believe the issue starts with the bow tie they tried to dress it up with!! Sorry, couldn’t resist.

I also agree with a vacuumed leak, possible a sticking EGR if the 6.0 has one.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Rough Idle
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS