Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: 30 AMP Connection at home
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> 30 AMP Connection at home

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/18 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a thought, but many older homes just have 100 amps available. If you put a 50/30/20 next to the driveway, your guests MH may cut you short, when using many household appliances at once.

Jerry

John & Angela

World Travelers.

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/18 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

Just a thought, but many older homes just have 100 amps available. If you put a 50/30/20 next to the driveway, your guests MH may cut you short, when using many household appliances at once.

Jerry

Meh. The worst that happens is you pop the main breaker, reset it, educate everybody and move on. Many Electric Vehicle owners live in houses with 100 amp service. An EV can pull 32 amps at 240 volts. But the chargers are all programmable and they just charge at night. They learn fast after the main 100 amp breaker kicks on the house. Just have to do a little power management. Easy to do with an RV.

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/18 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Jerry,

That is unlikely to happen. Go to the breaker box and count how many 15 amp circuits are already there. If you ran them all "flat out" the main breaker would blow.

So too, on an RV. 12000 watts divided by two legs is designed for a maximum continuous load of 9600 watts.

MFL wrote:

Jerry

Regards, Don
Full Time in a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Range Maggot Bob

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/18 09:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bite the bullet and put in the 50AMP. Well worth it, then you're through worrying; ready for any upgrade.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/18 05:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi Jerry,

That is unlikely to happen. Go to the breaker box and count how many 15 amp circuits are already there. If you ran them all "flat out" the main breaker would blow.

So too, on an RV. 12000 watts divided by two legs is designed for a maximum continuous load of 9600 watts.

MFL wrote:

Jerry

Unlikely when everyone uses electric wisely. We up graded the entrance into the family lake cabin for this very reason. After adding outdoor plug-ins for a couple family members RVs, for holiday gathering, the existing cabin electric was coming up short.

Jerry

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/18 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

John & Angela wrote:

MFL wrote:

Jerry

Meh. The worst that happens is you pop the main breaker, reset it, educate everybody and move on. Many Electric Vehicle owners live in houses with 100 amp service. An EV can pull 32 amps at 240 volts. But the chargers are all programmable and they just charge at night. They learn fast after the main 100 amp breaker kicks on the house. Just have to do a little power management. Easy to do with an RV.

Though my house has been updated there are still older homes in my area that use Cartridge Fuses for the mains and screw in fuses or fusestats for the smaller circuits. So if you blow a main cartridge fuse it can be a struggle to find one on a late Sunday afternoon when all the stores are closed. (People should keep spares but, I have known people who didn't )

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/18 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If someone has a dinosaur electrical system they should be spending the $$$ to bring it to modern times instead of buying an RV. I know, harsh!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Colorado #5

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks a ton for all your help you guys.

I went to the Minnesota RV show this weekend and a dealer there said just use dog bone and plug into a 110 outlet and I should be fine. I think I will watch my voltage drop though.

jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Colorado #5 wrote:

Thanks a ton for all your help you guys.

I went to the Minnesota RV show this weekend and a dealer there said just use dog bone and plug into a 110 outlet and I should be fine. I think I will watch my voltage drop though.

You won't be fine. You'll burn up the adapter when you try to run the AC very long.

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 1350 watt A/C uses less current than a 1500 watt floor heater. 1350 watts pull 11.25 AMPs. It will do just fine on either a 15 or 20 AMP circuit.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> 30 AMP Connection at home
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS