Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Equalizer WD problems due to new tow vehicle
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Equalizer WD problems due to new tow vehicle

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
rirish1

Alachua, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/18 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently upgraded my TV to a 3/4 ton chevy 4x4. I tow a 29ft TT with a max weight of 7K lbs. The TV is a perfect fit but it sits much higher off the ground then my old 1/2 ton. I have the WDH on the lowest possible holes yet the trailer still sits about 2" nose up. Another annoying problem is the tailgate won't open now (it hits the power jack). I was hoping to purchase a new shank to solve both problems but can't seem to find anything commercially. I figured I might as well go to a 2 1/2 inch shank since the truck has a 2 1/2 inch receiver. I only need a couple more inches of length to fix the tailgate and need a couple more inches of drop. Does anyone have any suggestions or should I just try to get something manufactured locally.

lawrosa

Howell NJ

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/18 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Reese/RP54977.html

You may be best off with a reducer to get you the length.. Then stay 2"..

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Adapters/........NJXWBc6vjzEZKsxrhR2SZ6xDj4MaAmQBEALw_wcB

Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

mike-s

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/18 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rirish1 wrote:

I have the WDH on the lowest possible holes yet the trailer still sits about 2" nose up. Another annoying problem is the tailgate won't open now (it hits the power jack).
Their standard shank is 90-02-4100, which is a 2" shank, 12" long x 3" drop, 7" rise. It looks like it's 8" long from hole-to-hole.

They have a 90-02-4900, which is 2-1/2" shank, 12" long x 6" drop, 10" rise. What you want, except for length.

Curt makes a 17122, which is 2" shank, should have more than enough drop, and is 14" long hole-to-hole, so you'd pick up 6" in length. It's rated for 15K. What you want, except not 2 1/2.

* This post was edited 02/08/18 12:12pm by mike-s *

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/18 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use an Equal-i-zer 4 point WD system on my rig. My tow vehicle is in my signature below. The tail gate also touches the electric tongue jack.

Two ways to get around this. First is to turn the tongue jack 1/3 way around so the motor is out of the way of tail gate. I have not done this to my trailer yet (in 4 years), but I keep thinking someday I will. That's probably the easiest solution.

The other way to open the tail gate and not hit the jack is to lower the jack to the ground and let it lift the truck up, like when you are attaching the weight distribution bars. This will cause the angle of the truck and trailer to allow the tail gate to open all the way without hitting the electric jack.

Sometimes, if parked on just the right hill, or bump, or dip in the road or asphalt, the angle gets just right, the tail gate will open without hitting. But when it does, I just lower the jack and let it lift the truck end. This works pretty well, and I suppose I've gotten into this lazy mode, thus the reason I've not turned the jack yet and repositioned in the 3 holes on the A-frame.

DutchmenSport

2013 Outback 298RE
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually
1400 / 14000 Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution
2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 old folks and lots of love!

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/18 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CAUTION!!! You CANNOT use a WD hitch with a reducer that also gives you length!!

They are not nearly strong enough.

The OP is on the right track.
A longer drawbar with more drop is what he needs.
I have an EQUALIZER 18" long one made of chromolly steel. It is a 2" but is rated the same as the 2.5" ones. I recommend staying with 2" and using the reducer. Since there is no strength advantage in the 2.5"one.
If you go with the 2.5 and your TT ever needs to be towed by another "backup" TV in a pinch, the 2" one has a better chance of fitting in the receiver of the Backup.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

rirish1

Alachua, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/18 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought if I turned the power jack it would work. Unfortunately when I tried it the mounting bolts wouldn't line up. Mine is a triangle mounting plate not a circle.

I thought that if I was replacing the shank I might as well go to 2.5 inch. Seems like I can't get what I want commercially. The equalizer 18 inch length doesn't have the drop that I need. I will look at the Curt 17122.

How important is it to tow the TT level? I tend to be a perfectionist but the reality is I've been on several long trips and haven't had a problem. I'm only 2 inches high.

mike-s

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/18 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rirish1 wrote:

I'm only 2 inches high.
That TT must seem really big to you. [emoticon]

harley4275

Belle River, On

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/18 06:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you turn the jack you do this by turning the head not the base. I have done this to a barker and an lci . Each worked great for tailgate clearance .

2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
1997 Lance sl 185 Truck Camper
From Belle River, Ontario

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/18 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

harley4275 wrote:

When you turn the jack you do this by turning the head not the base. I have done this to a barker and an lci . Each worked great for tailgate clearance .

Not necessarily ... the older UltraFab 3002 I owned a few years ago did allow rotating just the head, my current UltraFab 3502 does not. No doubt some other brands don't allow rotation of the head either, likewise there are some that have additional holes in the mounting plate that allow rotating of the entire jack. Unfortunately the OP hasn't told us just which tongue jack he has so whether the head could be rotated or not none of us can answer.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/18 08:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2" high is a lot. The Equalizer I have has quite a bit of drop. One of the most I have seen. If you cannot get enough drop, you may be able to raise the TT to compensate. A combination of an axle flip, larger tires, and or lift blocks may be used. I have used all three methods or combinations as necessary to lift all of my TTs.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Equalizer WD problems due to new tow vehicle
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS