Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: 1st time buyer (TT)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> 1st time buyer (TT)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Bammer4

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/18 11:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone for the input, and by all means keep it coming.

kerrlakeRoo

Va

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/18 04:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few other items I'll add;
Try to get enclosed underbelly and heated tank pads. That far north they will extend your season quite a bit.
If you will be travelling very far with that truck, add a tranny cooler and brake controller.

As general items to consider
Everything in the truck beyond a full tank of fuel and yourself, count against the payload capacity. Add for your wife and any other passengers, gear in the bed, a 100lb weight distributing hitch and the trailer tongue.
Trailer tongue should be roughly 15% of total trailer weight so 6000 lb trailer will have a 900 lb tongue weight. They will look lighter in manufacturers literature but those weights are without Propane, batteries and even the power tongue jack. The 15% is real world.
Happy motorin

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/18 05:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm assuming here (which is always a good thing to do, lol!), but if your truck has a "tow package", it should already have a built in brake controller and larger transmission cooler. If it doesn't have the built in brake controller, you may want to look at slightly lighter trailers, to give yourself more "cushion" in regards to weight capacities.

Go Dawgs

Kent, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/18 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bammer4 wrote:

Thank you. We have been looking around for about 5 months and the RV show is in town which is the main reason we are looking to buy this weekend (good prices). We have checked the weight several times to the point that we started doubting ourselves. I have a F150 that has a 7500 capacity. So we have been looking at 6000 UVA and under.

Don't look at unload or dry weight of any trailer. Look for the GVWR (max load) of all trailers. You won't be pulling it unloaded except to bring it home.

2004 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 Dually
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS

Bammer4

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/18 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I kinda get what the tongue weight refers to little bit but I guess what I'm not sure of is what does it affect? Cause someone said add 100 lbs fire the distribution hitch. Is tongue weight for RAWR or something else?

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/18 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bammer4 wrote:

I kinda get what the tongue weight refers to little bit but I guess what I'm not sure of is what does it affect? Cause someone said add 100 lbs fire the distribution hitch. Is tongue weight for RAWR or something else?
Your best bet is to start here clicky. You'll have a much better understanding what it all means and how it affects you if you read through all the stuff on there.

OldShu

Center of the Good Old USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/18 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

troubledwaters wrote:

Bammer4 wrote:

Your best bet is to start here clicky. You'll have a much better understanding what it all means and how it affects you if you read through all the stuff on there.

That is an excellent source!

'17 Lance 1475 w/160 w solar, Grp 31 Deep Cycl Trojan, Tire Traker TPMS, Prog. Ind. EMS-PT30C

'17 Ridgeline RTL AWD Equalizer 600/6000

Living the dream Thanks! How about you?

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/18 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tvov wrote:

I'm assuming here (which is always a good thing to do, lol!), but if your truck has a "tow package", it should already have a built in brake controller and larger transmission cooler. If it doesn't have the built in brake controller, you may want to look at slightly lighter trailers, to give yourself more "cushion" in regards to weight capacities.

A built-in brake controller has nothing to do with weight capacities.
It's a convenience feature.

Not all tow packages include a controller. They do include pre-wiring for a brake controller.

Dan- Firefighter">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 Ecoboost, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Mortimer Brewster

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/18 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bammer4 wrote:

The quick answer is that too little tongue weight can lead to trailer sway, which can be extremely dangerous. Too much tongue weight can cause handling problems. It’s important to know how to react to it should it happen to you.

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/18 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

Tvov wrote:

A built-in brake controller has nothing to do with weight capacities.
It's a convenience feature.

Not all tow packages include a controller. They do include pre-wiring for a brake controller.

It is just a very easy way to start out when figuring out your truck. When I bought my F250 in 2008, the built-in brake controller only came on Ford trucks that had a "tow package", which included some other features for towing.

That's all.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> 1st time buyer (TT)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS