Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Holding Tank Treatments?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Holding Tank Treatments?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
36guy

Princeton

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/18 11:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Septo bac, septonic, any septic tank treatment works awesome. Cheap, easy to find, available in any supermarket or hardware store anywhere, coats the inside of your tanks after being dumped, been the only thing I've used in forty years.

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/18 11:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

do not use bleach in your black tank for two reasons, it kills the bacteria in the black tank and it also reacts with the urine and lets off a bad poison in the air. pure blue is a heavy deodorant, but I have been using a chemical called Happy Camper. a little expensive but over the years I have been camping and with all the stuff I have used this stuff works best. I bought a gallon of it, shared it with the kids and still have over 1/2 gallon left.

Halmfamily

Munford, AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/18 04:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

craftyfox wrote:

We go 10 days or so between black water dumps for 6 months a year and have never used anything but water. .never have an odor problem. .additives are just a waste of money.

X2... I will ad bleach to my grey tanks once a year to kill any bacteria that is causing it to smell.

2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/18 05:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

brianosaur wrote:

Anyone found a specific brand thats great at odor elimination and decomposition or one that should be avoided because its -… wait for the pun - total ****?

Also, ponds or liquid?
OK - it isn't that big of a deal. As stated use lots of water. Stuff isn't going to be in the tank long enough to be "digested" by stuff you put in there. Apply the KISS principal. I put something called a Drop In found at Walmart in at every time I empty the tank - just to please the wife. When done using, I flush the tank with a wand, then pour some of the blue liquid in and maybe 2 gallons of water during storage periods - put the same in the gray tank for storage.

I never smell anything - if I did, then there's a ventilation issue.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/18 05:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OldShu wrote:

GeoMethod for Black and Gray tanks. No bleach.

https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/

X2^^.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MOR/ryde independent suspension, disc brakes, LR G tires
PullRite OE 18K, Demco Glide Ride pin box
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/18 05:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of water. I use the Geo method about once a month on the road and maybe twice a season when I'm doing short trips. Odor in the coach is a ventilation issue. Turn of all vent fans when dumping. I had to replace the bathroom ceiling vent/fan and replaced it with a Fantastic fan that reverses. This helps keep odors down by pressurizing the bathroom and forcing air out the vent pipe.

I found that you can get a smell flushing if the vent fans are on with all the windows closed. You're sucking air through the tank vent and tank into the coach. Now if I can only get the DW to understand that...

Another vent issue I've read about is the black tank vent pipe getting loose and dropping into the tank. You can check this by going up and removing the cap and see the the pipe is still above the collar.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Mortimer Brewster

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/18 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of water.
Geo Method
Happy Campers Holding Tank Treatment is the best solution if things get away from you.

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/18 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm in the "Lots of Water" camp also. I flush my tanks all the time, no problems with smells. I will also add a bit of water and a bit of Dawn Dishwashing liquid to the tanks and hit the road (usually on the return home). The soap sloshing will clean it pretty good. Once home, I dump out again. For years, I'd just catch it in a bucket, only a couple buckets full, and then dump that down the toilet at home. Worked just fine. Then I created a way to dump into my septic tank and been doing that ever since.

I also backflush my grey tank into my black tank (every time I dump) and this also help pull out a LOT more "stuff" from the black tank. With the backflushing, and the black-tank-flusher attached to a hose, I never use chemicals, only Dawn on the return trip home.

Water, Water, Water! That's all you really need to keep smells away.

DutchmenSport

2019 Montana High Country 375FL Fifth Wheel
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually

2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 even older folks now, but still lots of love!

The new Montana is now officially, "The Love Shack 2"

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/18 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Favorite brand is H20.. That's right, Water.

The treatments you pay for.. Might as well put the money in the toilet and flush.

The major source of "STINK" is not the black tank it's the gray, and even that.. I have found the only time I've had a "Stinky RV" was when I forgot to close the valves after dumping on site.. The STINK was coming out of the ground (Sewere system) not the RV.

Now I do, on occasion use a "Digester" product, but only when I know I'm going to be more time between dumps than I am comfortable with.. But normally, and since my wife died (I can go 2 weeks without emptying tanks now used to do it 4x that often when wife was about) . Well, I've not used much tank treatment.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

beemerphile1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/18 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Decomp? It is a holding tank, not a septic system

We seldom use a deodorizer, mostly just use water. If you are getting odors there may be something wrong?

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Holding Tank Treatments?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS