Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Towing capacity question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Towing capacity question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Randbo

Concord

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/18 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, experts,

My wife and I are trying to decide between a Class C and a travel trailer. The key question is will our 2001 Ford E-150 van tow a travel trailer comfortably?

Our van has a 5.4L V8 engine with a 3:55 gear ratio. It is rated at 12,000 pounds GCWR and has towing capacity of 7,000 pounds. We are looking at the Rockwood Mini Lite 2509S with a dry weight of 5,170 pounds. I have a weight distributing hitch installed on the van with a max gross trailer weight of 10,000 pounds and a max tongue weight of 1,000 pounds. The van has rear air shocks. I would buy a sway bar hitch and a transmission cooler.

It seems like the van will tow the trailer on paper but what kind of experience will I have towing it up a mountain for example? I don't want to strain the van engine, etc.

Thanks for your advice.

* This post was edited 02/09/18 09:56am by Randbo *

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/18 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the payload capacity of the van?

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/18 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Towing capacity for a truck/ van is more often limited by the carrying capacity than the tow 'capacity' or the GCWR.

Your van should have a max payload number on the door sticker. Take that weight, subtract the following:
1 - Weight of a full tank of fuel
2 - Weight of all the people who will be traveling in the vehicle
3 - Weight of any clothing or personal items they will carry in the vehicle
4 - Weight of any tools in the vehicle
5 - Weight of any camping gear, toys, etc you will put in the vehicle
6 - Weight of the vehicle weight distribution hitch

The number left is the amount of carrying capacity you have for the tongue weight of the trailer.

Many times vans end up with a negative carrying capacity even before the trailer tongue weight is added.

One thing which helps tremendously is if the transmission has a "Tow/Haul" mode that can be engaged. That does shifting on a different basis than regular travel. It makes a significant difference on wear and tear on the engine and transmission.

Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Sailors are essential because even Marines need heroes”

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

handye9

Brown City, MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/18 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others have noted, it's not a simple tow capacity compared to trailer weight.

Payload (AKA "max occupant / cargo weight") is what the tow vehicle is rated to carry. Trailer tongue weight, along with the weight of a weight distributing hitch, is counted as cargo weight on the tow vehicle.

Advertised tow capacity, does not include passengers or cargo in the tow vehicle. As you add weight (people, pets, cargo, etc) to the tow vehicle, it's available payload and tow capacity are going down, pound for pound.

Here's a link to a calculator that may help.

08 F250 Crewcab,4X4, SB
5.4, 4.10 gears
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/18 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:

Towing capacity for a truck/ van is more often limited by the carrying capacity than the tow 'capacity' or the GCWR.

Your van should have a max payload number on the door sticker. Take that weight, subtract the following:
1 - Weight of a full tank of fuel
2 - Weight of all the people who will be traveling in the vehicle
3 - Weight of any clothing or personal items they will carry in the vehicle
4 - Weight of any tools in the vehicle
5 - Weight of any camping gear, toys, etc you will put in the vehicle
6 - Weight of the vehicle weight distribution hitch

The number left is the amount of carrying capacity you have for the tongue weight of the trailer.

Many times vans end up with a negative carrying capacity even before the trailer tongue weight is added.

One thing which helps tremendously is if the transmission has a "Tow/Haul" mode that can be engaged. That does shifting on a different basis than regular travel. It makes a significant difference on wear and tear on the engine and transmission.
Payload sticker already accounts for a full tank of fuel. You do not need to subtract that.

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/18 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Were there yellow payload stickers back in 2001?

Dan- Firefighter">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 Ecoboost, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/18 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Long time E150 owner

Randbo wrote:

Our van has a 5.4L V8 engine with a 3:55 gear ratio. It is rated at 12,000 pounds GCWR and has towing capacity of 7,000 pounds.

With that ratio, I am guessing you do NOT have the HD trailer tow option. The HD trailer tow option include a 3.73 rear axle, a HD radiator, and auxiliary transmission cooler and a 7 pin trailer connector in the rear plus break out wiring for the brake controller under the dash.

These are all NECESSARY if you are going to be towing over 4,000 lbs.

I am not a fan of air shocks, but you can add a leaf to the rear spring pack for very little cost.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/18 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, I’ll assume the van is in good well maintianed condition.
Chassis will handle a 6000lb plus trailer fine with a wdh. Those engines like to rev, so it’s ok to winder up and keep it there.
It will not be able to pull moderate grades without losing speed. 2nd year will be tops for any hill really.
But the most important thing to consider is how good of shape is the van? That will pretty much max out it’s capabilites.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/18 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The old 5.4 2V was a good dependable engine! A powerhouse it was not!! If you are very patient, it will pull the trailer, after adding proper tow equipment. If you really plan to tow any mountain grades, you will not be a happy camper. Unless you can get a run, 1st gear likely on 7 percent grade. Payload may be an issue, but IMO, you just don't have enough power to comfortably pull a 6K+ loaded high walled trailer.

Jerry

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/18 06:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't play the numbers game, but I can relate my personal experience.
I towed an old 19 foot travel trailer with a 1976 Ford E150 Club Wagon, 351CI V8 engine, auto tranny. We went into the mountains of Central Montana on 2-track dirt roads, we went over the Continental Divide several times on paved highways, with no problems. No WD hitch, no "sway control", it just worked.
Prior to that, we had a 1975 Ford E150 Club Wagon, and towed a 15 foot camp trailer in the mountains of North Central Wyoming. We even towed it to Tucson and back. Again, no WD hitch, no "sway control", no problems.
OP, if your van has P rated tires, I would replace them with LT load range D or E tires, and go for it. If you (or the van) are not happy with the towing performance, then you can think about re-gearing the differential to 3.73 or 4.10, or replacing the van.
Good luck.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toad: '05 Wrangler Unlimited
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Auto, 4X4
Other toys: 2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Towing capacity question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS