Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: WAVE 6 catalytic heater review
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> WAVE 6 catalytic heater review

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Rbertalotto

Massachusetts

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/18 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm on a February cross country trip and needed a quiet way to heat my 20' Toy Hauler.

I wrote a short article with photos on my web site.

You can read it here:

http://rvbprecision.com/rv-projects/solar-install-grey-wolf-19rr-toy-hauler.html

How you enjoy it!

RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2018 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
420w Solar / Bogart SC2030 / Trimetrics

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/18 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never did see anything about a heater

Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KingDome/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

ICamel

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/18 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/olympian-wave-6-propane-heater-review.html

The CO Police will chime in soon!

ICamel

2017 Arctic Fox 992
2005 Ford F350 Lariat SuperDuty CrewCab 4x4 + 6 Speed Manual + 19.5" Tires + LoadLifter 5000 Rear Air Bags
2005 16' River Wild Drift Boat
Honda EU2000i
Trophytrout FlyFisherman

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/18 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my issue wasn't as much with CO, it's the fact that with these type of unvented heaters your dumping almost a gallon of water in the air for every gallon of propane burned. If it's dry out, may not be an issue, but if humidity is high, that much water really agrivated window condensation etc.

a vented heater isn't an issue for water, it all goes outside.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/18 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

technically correct

but

100,000 BTU per HOUR will produce 0.98 gal, propane contains 94,000 btu per gallon

a 3000 btu wave heater will need 32 hrs to produce that 'gallon' of water by burning a gallon of propane

a 5000 BTU heater will take 20 hours at full output to produce 0.98 gal of moisture

http://www.constructionheatersinc.com/catalog/combustion-moisture.html

naturally if you sleep with no heat, wake up cold, and light up a heater like a wave or buddy, the bit of moisture produced is going to condense on every cold surface in the camper, especially the windows

but if you keep a warm camper and the ventilation is sufficient, you are going to see very little as it will be exhausted with the warm air thru the ceiling vent

* This post was edited 02/10/18 04:16pm by MrWizard *

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Rbertalotto

Massachusetts

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/18 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not one drop of condensation this morning. I've ben using a Big Buddy heater in various campers for years. So far I've not witness any of these condensation issues.
And the issue is not CO it is usually the depletion of O that will kill you. These wave heaters will automatically shut off well before the O level is too low.
But best to keep new batteries in the CO detector.....

Almot

out there

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/18 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't see review of Wave 6 in the link, but... depending on location, 5000 BTU model can be too much for some places and not enough for some other.

Wintering in BC Mexico in poorly insulated 26ft trrailer, with night temps rarely below 45, I resorted to running it only in the evening and on the Med-Low. It gets cold after sunset at 6pm, too early to go to bed. If I leave it overnight, I would wake up in sweat. They suggest leaving N square inches of open window per BTU, don't remember the number because my one or two windows are usually open more than that. Wave 6 is permanently installed on the wall.

There is practically no humidity from this heater. It would take a few days to burn 1 gallon of propane and produce 1 gallon of moisture with Wave 6, even if I had left it on High for 24 hours. It barely sips propane. Much more efficient than open-flame heater or furnace. I only wish it could cycle by itself.

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/18 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run 2 of the Wave 3 when needed.
In Quartzsite AZ, not a drop of condensation, windows are dry on a freezing morning after running the heaters all nite.
Here on the Oregon coast, a whole nother story, lotsa condensation, but it don't hurt nothin, I still luv'm. And I don't use much propane, and I don't use any battery !

Almot

out there

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 01:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For places line Quartzsite AZ don't discard clear plastic bag that Wave came in. With a piece of Scotch tape I made a cover, to protect it when not in use. Reportedly, catalytic pad is sensitive to dust. A loop of bungee cord keeps cover around the edges.

Wave sell some $20 vinyl covers, but with my wall mount it wouldn't work. Doubled clear bag has translucent appearance, better than black vinyl.

Rbertalotto

Massachusetts

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 06:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Reportedly, catalytic pad is sensitive to dust."..........Good advise

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> WAVE 6 catalytic heater review
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS