Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Dometic RM46E 3-way RV Refrigerator Over Cooling
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Dometic RM46E 3-way RV Refrigerator Over Cooling

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
bentSpaceTime

Reno, NV

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/18 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chris Bryant wrote:

Because the thermostat is modulating the flame, I doubt it has lost its charge, unless it only modulates at the very bottom of its range.
Have you checked the lip pressure? I would sure start with that.
I'm pretty sure I have several of those v35 thermostats, if I can find them.

How do you check the lip pressure?

bentSpaceTime

Reno, NV

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/18 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was trying to check the operation on 120 volts, but the knob that switches from gas to electric is missing. It's the kind where you turn it the the right for electric and then push it in and turn it further. Any idea if 120 is all the way turned to the right vs. 12 volts?

bentSpaceTime

Reno, NV

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/18 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does moving the capillary tubes up and down on the fresh food evaporator fins do anything, as far as adjusting the temperature in the cabinet?

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 05:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bentSpaceTime wrote:

Does moving the capillary tubes up and down on the fresh food evaporator fins do anything, as far as adjusting the temperature in the cabinet?

No. Those metal tubes get VERY brittle over time and you have to be extremely careful when moving them. It does not take much to crack one and then the tstat is useless. Doug

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 05:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bentSpaceTime wrote:

Chris Bryant wrote:

Because the thermostat is modulating the flame, I doubt it has lost its charge, unless it only modulates at the very bottom of its range.
Have you checked the lip pressure? I would sure start with that.
I'm pretty sure I have several of those v35 thermostats, if I can find them.

How do you check the lip pressure?

You connect a Manometer and when it goes to bypass causing the LP pressure to drop. That is how a bypass LP tstat works. Doug

Chris Bryant

Arden, North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Doug- darned autocorrect!

The easiest thing to check is, with the refrigerator down to temperature (cold), does the gas thermostat modulate the flame in the middle of the travel, or just right at the very bottom? If it only makes the flame smaller right at the bottom, it's bad. If it is in the middle of the range, we can work with it.

-- Chris Bryant
My RV Service Blog
The RV.net Blog

bentSpaceTime

Reno, NV

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chris Bryant wrote:

The easiest thing to check is, with the refrigerator down to temperature (cold), does the gas thermostat modulate the flame in the middle of the travel, or just right at the very bottom? If it only makes the flame smaller right at the bottom, it's bad. If it is in the middle of the range, we can work with it.

What do you mean by travel?

Chris Bryant

Arden, North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bentSpaceTime wrote:

Chris Bryant wrote:

What do you mean by travel?

The range between full counter clockwise ( warmest), and full clockwise (coldest).
The thermostat will modulate the flame to low at full counter clockwise, even if it has lost its charge, but we want to see if it will modulate at "working" setting, right in the middle of its range.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Dometic RM46E 3-way RV Refrigerator Over Cooling
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS