Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: What to buy for a first time RV?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> What to buy for a first time RV?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Mortimer Brewster

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/18 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 on a Progressive Industries hard-wired unit to protect your electrical system. I’d take a look the installation instructions on their website and decide if you can install it yourself.

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/18 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mortimer Brewster wrote:

X2 on a Progressive Industries hard-wired unit to protect your electrical system. I’d take a look the installation instructions on their website and decide if you can install it yourself.

If you self install, they will not warranty the unit in case of failure. Has to be done by an RV dealer.

Yes on slide toppers. Dragging a ladder around gets old quickly.

Consider upgrading to power vents with real fans. They will remove hot air and odors from your TT much better than the factory version.

* This post was edited 02/10/18 05:35pm by drsteve *

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

OldShu

Center of the Good Old USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/18 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats on the new TT! LV Native myself and still local in KC.

Weston Bend MO campground would be a good place to get a feel for your new Rig. I don't think I would try to get into River Front park with your setup.

X3 on the Progressive Industries EMS. Cant comment on the others as I do not use them.

Ill just leave this here. TT has a 9985 lb GVW, UVW of 7929 lb., Published TW of 953 lb. 35' 11" long

http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=158&Image=5084&ShowParent=1&ModelID=700#Main

Have fun, go slow and be safe!

If you have any Qs about local spots shot me a PM.

BTW, did you get it from Olathe Ford RV or Camping World?

* This post was edited 02/10/18 07:56pm by OldShu *

'17 Lance 1475 w/160 w solar, Grp 31 Deep Cycl Trojan, Tire Traker TPMS, Prog. Ind. EMS-PT30C

'17 Ridgeline RTL AWD Equalizer 600/6000

Living the dream Thanks! How about you?

Mortimer Brewster

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/18 09:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drsteve wrote:

Mortimer Brewster wrote:

If you self install, they will not warranty the unit in case of failure. Has to be done by an RV dealer.

Here’s the warranty . They will NOT honor the warranty for an improper installation and they strongly recommend that it be installed by a qualified electrician. Nowhere does it say that if you self install the warranty is voided.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/18 10:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What are they charging for each item? That's probably the big decision maker. If they are giving you a good deal because their techs don't have enough to work on, all three can be nice. If it's full retail price for installation, all three can be done later.
- Slide toppers, nice if you will be in wooded areas where stuff lands on the slide.
- Hatch covers are really easy to install in about 15-20min each.
- Plugging in a surge protector is pretty easy (wouldn't count on any warranty).

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/18 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mortimer Brewster wrote:

drsteve wrote:

Mortimer Brewster wrote:

Here’s the warranty . They will NOT honor the warranty for an improper installation and they strongly recommend that it be installed by a qualified electrician. Nowhere does it say that if you self install the warranty is voided.

There was a discussion that touched on this last week. The company apparently changed hands recently, and changes were made to the warranty. I went and read it, and at that time the warranty specifically excluded self installs. Looks like they changed it, which is good. They probably realized they were going to lose a lot of sales...

On edit: That page is still up, and can be viewed here: http://www.progressiveindustries.net/warranty-information

The first item under "exclusions":

"Installation of hard wired units by any party other than a qualified RV dealer."

One has to wonder which of these applies....

* This post was edited 02/11/18 07:39am by drsteve *

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/18 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

These upgrades can be expensive. I can agree if you are getting a good deal on them then do it. If you are physically able to get on the roof then you decide if they are worth the expense. If the unit does not have an installed ladder on the back for access then toting a separate ladder is a pain. Debris on the slide roofs can damage the roofing and seal materials so making sure they are clean before you bring them in is vital IMO.

Vent covers can be convenient if you don't go all out and put in vent fans with rain sensors that self close. Again, if you are able to get on the roof then do that one yourself if just going with covers.

The EMS/surge suppressor can be a life saver, especially at older parks. I have a Progressive Industries 50 amp portable one, not the hard wired, and I do cable lock mine to the pedestal. I have been saved once so far by its use.

Another factor is how long do you plan on keeping the unit? Are you sure you won't out grow it or come to dislike anything about it? Something else to look at is what tires are on it? Good ones or low end Trailer Kings? How about the suspension? Does it have the Mor-Ride or Equa-Flex equalizers and shackles? Makes a big difference in towing stability, again, just my opinion. Read about the nylon bushing inserts that are used and how they wear out fast. Wet bolts and bronze bushings are so much better.

Other than that go have fun when you do pick it up.

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/18 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best way to decide if you need a RV accessory like a surge protector is ask yourself do you have one now in your stick and bricks house. If yes and you find it necessary, then absolutely get one for the RV. IF yes and you find it worthless or if no, then don't buy one for the RV.

This same decision making strategy works well for deciding how to do certain things like only turning on the water heater when you need hot water, turning off the water every time you leave for the day, or even how often to wash the roof.

Mortimer Brewster

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/18 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DownTheAvenue wrote:

The best way to decide if you need a RV accessory like a surge protector is ask yourself do you have one now in your stick and bricks house.

I disagree with this portion of your statement. The electrical service to my house is much more dependable that that of a rv park. My PI EMS saved me a lot of money when I hooked up to a pedestal which had problems in South Dakota.

evanrem

WI

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/18 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes to the slide toppers. Yes to the vent covers. Not sure about the surge protector being hot wires but one is recommended.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> What to buy for a first time RV?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS