Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Low bridges
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Low bridges

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
kenvs

Farmington, MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/18 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We sold our motorhome a while ago and at 12'6" tall we had no worries about low bridges on interstates or secondary highways. We just bought a 5er that is indicated in the specs to be 13'6" tall. I will measure it for actual height and I have purchased a Motor Carriers road atlas which should help.

While driving along I-94 in Detroit I noted that some overpasses were indicated to have only 13' clearance. Further research has shown that these bridges are not listed in the road atlas.

Does anyone know of a good app that lists low clearances by state and route? The GS trip planner only indicates clearances under 13' which could end up being expensive. Most 5er height specs that I've seen in literature indicate 13' 4" to 13' 6".

Thanks for any input.

* This post was edited 02/10/18 05:30pm by kenvs *

'17/RAM 3500 Cummins dually
'18 Forest River Riverstone 38RE
US Army Retired

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/18 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

http://www.lowclearances.com for your existing GPS unit.

or buy one with it already loaded in - usually a truck specific GPS unit.

http://www.gps-planet.com
http://www.gpscity.ca/questions?qid=31566

I use these and have added additional files form other sources. Works for me.
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/36115

There are also phone apps that have mixed reviews.

Mike.
2018 Navion 24V "Goldilocks" 2016 JKU "Red" (sold @ ???)
2016 Sunstar 26HE (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/18 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The semis are taller than you. As long as you see them going in the opposite direction you are good to go.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/18 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bridges too low for common motor carrier will be advertised well ahead. Be a conscientious driver and keep those peepers open for signs like all trucks must exit low clearance ahead.

Don't rely on technology, self driving RVs aren't here yet.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

Lwiddis

Cambria, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/18 05:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For me...another reason to avoid a 5er.

“indicated in the specs to be 13'6" tall”. So you don’t know the actual height of your RV?

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

jerryjay11

Dover

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/18 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure where that 13'limit comes from. I use GS Trip planner and have a route set up online now which shows a low clearance bridge of 13' 4". My camper is 10' 9" so plenty room. I can set my GS RV GPS/Rand McNally for camper height and never had a problem. I do watch for bridge clearance signs though.

malexander

Oklahoma City, OK

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/18 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Veebyes wrote:

The semis are taller than you. As long as you see them going in the opposite direction you are good to go.

This may not be totally accurate. The "other side" could very well be higher. Depending on the grade of the road you're on.

2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, 2007 Honda VTX 1300R, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S19 Ventera. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

chiefneon

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/18 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Howdy!

I use Co-Pilot RV gps app and it has kept use safe in our fulltime travels.

Co-Pilot RV gps app

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/18 07:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

malexander wrote:

Veebyes wrote:

This may not be totally accurate. The "other side" could very well be higher. Depending on the grade of the road you're on.

It also depends upon what lane you’re in, even when traveling the same direction. That’s what caused the bridge disaster on I-5 in northern Washington a few years ago.

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/18 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

malexander wrote:

Veebyes wrote:

This is especially true for the Hampton Roads bridge tunnel between Norfolk and Hampton. Originally there was one tube with two lanes one in each Direction. When the second tube was added the interior height was increased for the second tube. There are height sensors activating stop lights and people have also ran out to flag down the over-height vehicles. Every once in a while we have a over-height vehicle attempting to enter the old tube and doesn't get stopped in time. Some wind up hitting the entrance or wind up getting stuck and damaging the ceiling inside.

I believe some of those are trucks passing through the tall tuber first and not paying attention the the height info on the return trip through the shorter height tube.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Low bridges
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS