Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Low bridges
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Low bridges

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
koda55

Jacksonville, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/18 10:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use the truck driver road atlas. This list all bridge heights. Tractor trailers are 13'6 inches tall. Many run low profile tires which makes them 13' 4". If your fifth wheel is actually 13' 6" when hooked up to your truck you could be in for a crunched front end on the 5er.

jerryjay11

Dover

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/18 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing that really works for me when driving under a suspect bridge is just before I enter the underpass I duck. So far so good!

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

25 years as a Police dispatcher MOSTLY on the Detroit Freeway Patrol.

And though on side streets there are some low clearances. I'm not aware of any freeway bridge under 14' A few under 16 foot (All marked) but none under 14'. Only had four cases of truck v/s bridge

One was a very oversize truck on I-96/M-14 east of I-275 Tarp hit the bridge, NO DAMAGE

One was during construction, Dump truck bed raised lifted a bridge right off the mounts.. This truck was well over 13' tall with the bed up in the DUMP position.

One was a fatal, garbage truck carrying a dumpster (they are not supposed to do that) also well over 14' tall hit a bridge, the dumpster sliced the salesman (not authorised to drive it) in half (ouch)

And one was a crain.. he just nicked a bridge, again over size load.

Oh and one car v/s bridge but how he got that high I have no clue. He hit the name of the road sign which was a good 18' above the freeway.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Low bridges
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS