Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Thinking about converting and ambulance to an RV
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Thinking about converting and ambulance to an RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/18 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

midnightsadie wrote:

true they have a lot of miles on them. I worked for a hospital for 30yrs and they sit in the lot at idle for hundreds of hrs.I.d just find me a good class C and go use it tomorrow, than be sinking money into a money pit that I can,t use till I get it done.

X2

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

moebedick

Worcester,Ma

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/18 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ran an ambulance service for fifteen years and bought and sold one hundred plus trucks. I wouldn't consider converting one for use as a camper.When we were done with a truck,despite consistent maintenance, it was tired. No machine on the road,including police vehicles,has a harder life. Find a good B or C and restore it. It will be much less work and much more reliable.

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/18 07:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go on over to cheaprvliving.com. Lots of specific info on "ambo" conversions and general DIY conversions there.

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/18 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If that’s what you want to do a school buss would be a much better choice. Just be sure to buy a ‘County’ bus not a ‘City’ bus which has much lower gears and screams on the highway.

There’s a place in either PA or OH that specializes in them and has a huge inventory that’s constantly turning over, call them and you can ‘reserve’ a shortie with highway gears.

Besides, it’s a bunch easier to remove or cover up unneeded windows than it is to try to install them from scratch were there wasn’t any before.

Also, be aware, if you install electricity (other than 12 volts), propane, or plumbing you could very well be denied a stay in a conventional campground with it.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/18 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you just want a project and think it would be cool...go for it.

If you want a small RV, just take the $20k and buy a ClassB ready to roll.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Thom02099

Loveland,CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/18 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GordonThree wrote:

midnightsadie wrote:

true they have a lot of miles on them. I worked for a hospital for 30yrs and they sit in the lot at idle for hundreds of hrs.I.d just find me a good class C and go use it tomorrow, than be sinking money into a money pit that I can,t use till I get it done.

X2

+1...^^^^^This.

In addition to sitting at idle for long periods, they are frequently running at high speed (depending on weather conditions) to emergencies, sometimes at great distances here in the West. The ambulance service here in the county I reside has a coverage area of over 2000 square miles, with a major interstate. Running hot on the interstate is not uncommon. Driving up a twisty canyon for over an hour at speeds most folks wouldn't do under the same circumstances. No matter how well maintained, they get tired very quickly. In this area, equipment turnover is fairly high, given the above circumstances.

2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS

garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/18 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep in mind converted units are not welcome in a lot of RV parks. Even if you only plan to boondock, resale value will be a lot less than a equivalent class C because of that when you go to get rid of it.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/18 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds fun for a project, but first blush says you could find a nice used C with MUCH lower miles, fully setup for about the same 20 grand.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500, Mega, 4wd, 5.9 G56, BD Triple Dog, SB ceramic clutch, Industrial Injection Dragonfly Injectors, GDP 2 micron filter, Firestone Bags, Big Wig swaybar, homemade stable loads, ATI viib damper and a BD Brake

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/18 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now if you found one super cheap and wanted a more spartan setup or the ability to haul toys in it, it may make more sense.

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 03:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quit thinking about it!..[emoticon]

Bad idea for all the reasons posted - and more..[emoticon]

~

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Thinking about converting and ambulance to an RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS