Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Thinking about converting and ambulance to an RV
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Thinking about converting and ambulance to an RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personally, I would try to find a military field ambulance to convert.
Yes, it will likely be a little smaller, but it will be built a LOT tougher, and it will be four wheel drive.
Or, go big and find a military two and a half ton 6X6 (diesel or multi-fuel) with the insulated work-shop body. Then you will start out with a 8X8X16 house to build whatever you want in, and lots of under-the-box room for tanks, storage compartments, etc.. You might even get lucky and find one of the expandable units, which would give you 16X16X8 living area when expanded. But, they are difficult to find.
When you settle on a unit, and start the build, be sure to keep us advised of your progress, and post pictures.
Good luck.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC SWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X4
Other toys: a pair of Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure how tall you are, but ambulances are usually pretty short. I'm 6-04 and can't stand up inside one. They are pretty narrow as well, won't be very much room inside. They often aren't insulated, but rather depend on robust heating and cooling systems, powered by "free" fuel. They don't have water systems, or sewer systems... nor much room underneath to add them.

Seems like it would be a waste of money to me... but what do I know.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IN my opinion, this is a stupid idea. You have to decide what your hobby is- camping or building a camper. For the $30000 you say you will invest, you can buy a nice class C or a B+ and start camping that day. For me I don't want to camp in something that looks like do-better row, and an old ambulance or school bus converted into a camper just screams white trash.

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DownTheAvenue wrote:

IN my opinion, this is a stupid idea. You have to decide what your hobby is- camping or building a camper. For the $30000 you say you will invest, you can buy a nice class C or a B+ and start camping that day. For me I don't want to camp in something that looks like do-better row, and an old ambulance or school bus converted into a camper just screams white trash.
Give this man the prize...

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

Halmfamily

Munford, AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the feedback. I am now looking at Class C's in the $10000 range and it looks like I can easily modify/update one to my needs. I want to stay away from one with slides and I hope I can find one with no water damage.

Again, thanks for all the feedback.

2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP,, I might suggest that you look to spend more of your budget in initial purchase and find one that is in better shape. In my area, used Class C's are rough and often in very poor shape. I think you would be better served to spend $25K on a good quality vehicle to start and $5K on upgrading. You are more likely to find a solid vehicle at $25 than at $10... at least in my experience.

Good luck though!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Halmfamily wrote:

Thanks for all the feedback. I am now looking at Class C's in the $10000 range and it looks like I can easily modify/update one to my needs. I want to stay away from one with slides and I hope I can find one with no water damage.

There’s about a bajillion RVs fr wale out here. Idk how it’s where you’re at. Not hard to find a decent one.
Begs the question though, what “custom mods” are you set on doing to the camper? You don’t have one, sound like you haven’t in the past either, but the “modifications” keep coming up. Better figure out what that is. Idk how much you can mod a camper except to repair, update the look or add functionality like solar power or something.
And only the latter are “mods”. Rest are basically repairs which most people strive to minimize.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500, Mega, 4wd, 5.9 G56, BD Triple Dog, SB ceramic clutch, Industrial Injection Dragonfly Injectors, GDP 2 micron filter, Firestone Bags, Big Wig swaybar, homemade stable loads, ATI viib damper and a BD Brake

Halmfamily

Munford, AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Halmfamily wrote:

There’s about a bajillion RVs fr wale out here. Idk how it’s where you’re at. Not hard to find a decent one.
Begs the question though, what “custom mods” are you set on doing to the camper? You don’t have one, sound like you haven’t in the past either, but the “modifications” keep coming up. Better figure out what that is. Idk how much you can mod a camper except to repair, update the look or add functionality like solar power or something.
And only the latter are “mods”. Rest are basically repairs which most people strive to minimize.

Currently own a 42' FW that I pull with GMC DRW. Not the easiest rig to get into remote boondockable locations. I've done numerous mods to our FW but just looking for something I can take out to the Talladega National Forest and boondock when I want to. Mods would be a new bed, get rid of dinette and put a nice couch in and do interior updates like removing carpet, etc. Would add solar and a bigger battery bank as well. In reality I want a project.

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 09:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DownTheAvenue wrote:

Conversion done right can look pretty good,,IF one has time and skill to do it right,,

https://youtu.be/o7X2nOtwdUM

https://youtu.be/Fo0HHRW2ihY

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/18 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DownTheAvenue wrote:

Isn't a Bluebird Wanderlodge nothing more than a converted Bluebird school bus?
Isn't a Prevost nothing more than a bus converted into an RV?
Neither of those are whitetrashmobiles, IMO. In fact, "white trash" can't afford to buy either one!
As one who lived barely one short step above the "white trash" level when growing up (the house we built never did have siding, it was covered with 60 lb. felt paper; Yeah, a real "tarpaper shack"), I find the term offensive, bigoted, and elitist; right up there beside the dreaded "N-word".

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Thinking about converting and ambulance to an RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS