Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Atwood furnace blower squeel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Atwood furnace blower squeel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
donkeydew

OR

Senior Member

Joined: 12/14/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/12/18 07:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drsteve wrote:

jerryjay11 wrote:

2oldman wrote:

chuckbear wrote:

Might just as well do it now as do it later since the bearings will freeze up at the worst possible time. Chuck
x2

I recently had mine replaced, and I was surprised at how hard it was to turn the almost-seized motor rotor. I believe there's just sleeves in there, not bearings.


Just is correct, no bearings in these motors, just sleeves.


If they had real bearings they'd never wear out.

they are babbit sleeve bearings that wick oil when running for the shaft to run on a film of oil. if the oil gets depleted or contaminated the shaft rubs against the dry bearing ruining both shaft and bearing.
if properly taken care of sleeve bearing are quieter and will last much longer than a ball bearing.

Casinojunkie

Cedar Rapids, IA

Senior Member

Joined: 07/31/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/12/18 08:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donkeydew wrote:

drsteve wrote:

jerryjay11 wrote:

2oldman wrote:

chuckbear wrote:

Might just as well do it now as do it later since the bearings will freeze up at the worst possible time. Chuck
x2

I recently had mine replaced, and I was surprised at how hard it was to turn the almost-seized motor rotor. I believe there's just sleeves in there, not bearings.


Just is correct, no bearings in these motors, just sleeves.


If they had real bearings they'd never wear out.

they are babbit sleeve bearings that wick oil when running for the shaft to run on a film of oil. if the oil gets depleted or contaminated the shaft rubs against the dry bearing ruining both shaft and bearing.
if properly taken care of sleeve bearing are quieter and will last much longer than a ball bearing.

How do you get oil to the babbit sleeve bearing? This is the issue.


1997 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel, automatic, pyro-boost-tranny temp on pillar mount, 354 rear gears, prodigy brake control,
2002 26' Lakota 5th wheel, 3-slide, by McKenzie


enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/05/2005

View Profile






Posted: 02/12/18 09:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe you will find that they are bronze bushings.
Most motor shops will say they are a through away motor.


Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker


doxiemom11

Mississippi

Senior Member

Joined: 01/09/2013

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/12/18 10:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We lubed, it lasted a few months then started getting worse again. We replaced the motor. No more squeal.

2oldman

Palm Springs

Senior Member

Joined: 04/15/2001

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/13/18 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Casinojunkie wrote:


How do you get oil to the babbit sleeve bearing? This is the issue.
It's difficult. I examined the old motor after mine was replaced, and thought.. there's no way I'm getting oil in there.

donkeydew

OR

Senior Member

Joined: 12/14/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/13/18 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the bearings are in a cavity in each endbell surrounded by permawick(a sawdust like substance impregnated with oi). if the endbell does not have a oil port or a small tube coming out you have to disassemble the motor and oil the from the inside.

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

Senior Member

Joined: 12/26/2000

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/13/18 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've taken several of them apart and soaked out the old gunk with solvent, dry thoroughly and reoill. Otherwise not much oil can make it in to where it's needed. They are self-aligning bronze. Craig

drsteve

Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 06/09/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/14/18 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even if you manage to lube them, wear has increased the clearance, and they'll just start squeaking again.


2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

Senior Member

Joined: 10/07/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/14/18 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drsteve wrote:

Even if you manage to lube them, wear has increased the clearance, and they'll just start squeaking again.

And Mr Murphy's law says it will fail again at the most inconvenient time, likely ~3:00 am, on the coldest night of your trip. [emoticon]


Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate


larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

Senior Member

Joined: 03/30/2001

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 02/14/18 09:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a squeaking motor and had the motor replaced. New motor had bearings.
chevman


chevman
2001 35 ft avalon alpenlite RK
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy
easyrider/reese airhitch
trailair center point suspension
JT Strong Arm Stabilizers
KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Atwood furnace blower squeel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS