Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Goal Zero Yeti Generators?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Goal Zero Yeti Generators?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/18 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone have any experience with these generators? They are actually power banks but they seem to be a pretty neat power solution. Clean, quiet power. They are a little pricy but still seem reasonable. You can buy their solar panels and daisy chain them if you would like to recharge the generator.

While I don’t own another TT yet I am still looking at these solutions as I would like to boon dock and have a solution to the occasional power outages here at the house. They have many different sizes from small 150 watts to large 3,000 watts.

Here is a link to the website. Goal Zero

Thanks!

Jeremiah

“Well, here at last, dear friends, on the shores of the Sea comes the end of our fellowship in Middle-earth. Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.”
~ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King

Lwiddis

Hearst San Simeon SP

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/18 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“Normal” solar is less expensive. 33 AHs for $450? And a NOMAD solar panel for $200...twenty watts!

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

PDX.Zs

PDX

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/18 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Goal zero is a super high quality company with great people. I have personally worked with them before, and can't say enough good things.

I suspect you will hear the word "overpriced" bounce around in this thread. And it's very true, that if you are both handy and motivated, you can come up with something that stores more for less.

The GZ stuff is just plug and play, easy easy to work with, looks good, and is backed by a cool company.

:-)

kerrlakeRoo

Va

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/18 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your goal is small storage, and inverter, it's a nice neat package. For a TT though consider, for less than $225 you can get a pair of GC-2 batteries, and another $100 will get you a larger PSW inverter for running AC powered items.
The 400 model listed on their site has a 33 Amphr battery (Lion)
and a 300 PSW inverter. (enough to run a tv, or to power small appliances or lights. for $449.
Spending less on bigger batteries on the TT, GC-2 could give (200 amphr), with a 500 inverter, would in a pinch even allow you to run an extension cord into your home from the trailer (if you can park close) and power something like your refrigerator in a pinch. You would even have money left over to get a solar panel and small controller.

If compact and a clean little unit is your goal, go for it, if you want maximum bang for your buck, use the sysyems as are common on a TT.
JMHO

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/18 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeti is very expensive per watt compared to other individual components.

Perhaps this plain English series on solar may be of help:

https://freecampsites.net/adding-solar/

Regards, Don
Full Time in a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/18 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just realized that I posted this under the wrong forum. My apologies to the TV folks. Mods, I tried to notify you but for some reason the Notify Moderation button isn’t working right.

Pianotuna...great link, thank you! I followed that rabbit trail from that tutorial and now I know that there were a thing called Edison batteries and that they can last over 100 years reliably, and they can be rebuilt. Darned Rabbit Trails!

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Jbrowland

Planning my next trip

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a friend who has one. I like them but I wouldn't spend the money on them. As has been said, high quality for sure but for the price, you could build your own for far less and have way more. They kind of remind me of Zamp.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They're just overpriced batteries and an overpriced inverter in an overpriced box.

Plus, they're only good until the batteries run low. Unlike a generator, you can't just refill the gas tank, pull the cord, and have power again. The batteries need to be recharged, and that takes hours when you have mains power available. A little fold-out solar panel you set on the ground isn't going to be able to keep up with even the most basic of usage. It takes a LOT of solar panels, like a trailer roof full, and bright sunny days to effectively recharge this thing.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

BubbaChris

St George Utah

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/18 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have the baby Yeti, the 150 and love it. I'd like to upgrade to the 400 lithium ion at some point. We have a handful of their accessories and some of their solar panels too. Everything bought at a discount through multiple channels, with Costco being the primary.

Ours gets used the most for 2 reasons. First is to provide better lighting in our dining area in the TT, especially if I'm reading newspapers in there. Second it is a great phone and tablet charging station if we're dry camping.

If the TT goes off-site for storage the GZ gear comes into the house to be available should we have an extended power outage.

2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/18 01:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

what has a Yeti generator have to do with Tow Vehicles?[emoticon]

Dan- Firefighter">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 Ecoboost, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Goal Zero Yeti Generators?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS