Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Snow load.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Snow load.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The answer is a push broom head on an extendable painting pole. I use a 23' pole to do the bottom 4-5' of my roof to avoid ice damming whenever we get more than about a foot of snow while staying safely on the ground and not damaging the shingles, should work fine for an RV.

2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If there's one thing Canada has lots of, it's snow. Except on the west coast where we are, it's rain, rain, rain all winter long. [emoticon] The general rule of thumb is 20 lbs per cubic foot of snow. For an 8' wide RV, that's only 160 lbs per foot (lengthwise along the roof). The average adult is likely putting much more stress on the roof because the weight is transferred to two small spots - your feet. In comparison, the weight of the snow is a distributed weight from side to side and towards the outer walls will have less effect than in the middle.

I'd say a foot of snow is really nothing to worry about which is probably why dealers and others just leave it up there and nothing happens.

Building codes have tables for roof trusses and joists for snow loads in specific regional areas and trusses/joists typically have much greater spans and deflection from the weight of snow has to be taken into account.

Used to be I couldn't even spell RV, now we own one!

Gil, Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, many mods (mild to wild), Reese DC WDH
2009 F250 super duty, V10, supercab, 4WD, 8' bed, Hawkshead TPMS & T-valves

westend

Shorewood, MN

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 02:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a modified "snow rake" to remove snow from my trailer while standing on a ladder. I attached two wheels onto the bottom edge of the rake so that the only thing that touches the roof are the small plastic wheels. It does leave about 1/4" of snow on the roof but that soon melts if the sun is shining.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just use your RV telescoping wash brush. Sturdy enough to push load of snow and 'safe', will not scrape roof/seals. The telescoping handle is more long enough to reach across the roof.

My RV wash brush took snow off my MH from all the Wisconsin snow storms for years!!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Again I will mention, I have shoveled, pushed and blown a lot of snow this year. We are currently three feet above the our normal amount.

If you have ever shoveled snow that has been distributed, it is hard and heavy. The avalanche folks know all about that. Why the snow on my TT roof was that way is anybody's guess.

I suppose if you live in snow country this may be normal and one can not deny that the manufactures and dealers do not seem to be worried. Still, who checks out the roof of a new TT for snow damage?

It may be a moot point be cause we are getting into 40 degree weather. In fact the evening news is warning home owners of ice dams and flooding.

At least in a few months we will be talking about potential sun damage. [emoticon]

Be safe.

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Passin Thru

N VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.aqua-calc.com/calculate/volume-to-weight/substance/snow-coma-and-blank-freshly-blank-fallen
Go figure! IDK, Didn't snow here.

jamesu

Camano Island, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/18 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A good HS Geometry question. I don’t know the answer, but it’s heavy enough to scare me.” I have spent plenty of mornings standing on tmy 6’ step ladder leaned up against the TT, pulling the snow off with my patio broom. Did that every winter, but now my TT is under cover at the storage yard...a real blessing.

2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2016 Creekside 26RLS
Go Cougs!

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/18 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a quick rule of thumb to help you if you are concerned.

Basic calculation – (for a quick analysis only)

This calculation is based on a 25% moisture density which may be conservative for our current snow fall. As a rule of thumb, saturated snow weighs approximately 20 pounds per cubic foot.

Calculation: S x 1.25 = P where:
S = Inches of snow on the roof (depth)
1.25 = Weight of 1 sq ft of snow for each 1-inch of depth
P = Pounds per square foot (lbs/sq ft)

Example: If the snow on my roof is 20-inches deep, what would that equate to?

20-inch roof snow depth x 1.25 lbs/sq ft = 25 lbs per sq ft of roof snow load

Source: >Should I shovel the snow off my roof? - CDA Building Department
building.cdaid.org/images/Handouts/Shovel%20Roof%20Snow.pdf

lol. They said if you really want to know quickly just cut out one square foot of the snow and weigh it! [emoticon]
pdf is a real eye opener on weight of snow, good read.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Snow load.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS