Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: New Equal-i-zer Hitch
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> New Equal-i-zer Hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
DocP

Macedonia, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/18 02:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently asked etrailer.com a similar question. My soon-to-be-delivered Cougar 32RLI has an unloaded tongue weight of 1165 pounds, and I am trying to determine which Equal-i-zer hitch to get. Here was their response to me:

"The weight distribution kits for the most part work in a range of weights. For example, the Equal-i-zer 14K gross & 1400 lb TW kit (part number EQ37140ET) has a tongue weight range of 1000 to 1400 pounds. This range is listed on all of our weight distribution product pages under "Specs", unless the kit you are looking at is a low capacity kit. In that case it will give a maximum tongue weight spec only. For this 1,400- Equal-i-zer example, the bar will begin to spring at 1000 lbs and it can break after 1400. When the bar springs, it is doing its job (distributing the weight up your tow vehicle frame and down the trailer frame). Ideally, you will want your actual loaded tongue weight to fall right in between whatever the listed tongue weight range is. For this Equal-i-zer kit, you would want to achieve the closest to a 1200 pound tongue weight as possible, even if that means rearranging some weight in the trailer to help facilitate this goal. If you can reach the middle of the tongue weight range, and the kit is properly installed, it will perform to the standards the manufacturer intended it to for you and you will be very satisfied with it!"

2018 Keystone Cougar 32RLI
2018 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, Z71

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 03:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will not make an "armchair" recommendation.
You need to determine if there are limitations of your TT frame. With many of todays TTs having lighter frames.... Going to heavy a bar could cause a problem. One of my TTs actually listed what size bars were permissable for each frame size. So.... First step.... Contact your TT manufacturer. Second step. determine your ACTUAL TW. Do these things first, and you will have your answer.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 10:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Definitely contact Progress Mfg (Equal-i-zer) when my square sockets developed cracks they sent me new ones under warranty. They never asked for a sales date or anything. Even if your trailer is overweight you should at least fix the hitch for free so you can sell it.

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

LVJJJ

NW WASHINGTON

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces, I see you have a 3/4 ton 96 Burb with a 350. How does it tow? seems like a lot of weight for a 350. I have a '94 Burb with 350 K-1500, 3.73 1/2 ton, the engine runs good but is low compression and is really weak. I've done several exterior upgrades so it tows halfway decent, pulling a TrailCruiser 26' just okay. Have you had to upgrade your engine much?
(dual exhaust, Fastchip computer upgrade chip, two cold air intakes, adjustable timing control, 15* advance)

1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

scottsnider

Buena Park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/18 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 5000 lbs trailer and got an equal-izer hitch from Craigslist for $75 make for a 1000 lbs trailer and it works great, was not planned that way but if works for me. Over kill for me works good.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/18 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LVJJJ wrote:

opnspaces, I see you have a 3/4 ton 96 Burb with a 350. How does it tow? seems like a lot of weight for a 350. I have a '94 Burb with 350 K-1500, 3.73 1/2 ton, the engine runs good but is low compression and is really weak. I've done several exterior upgrades so it tows halfway decent, pulling a TrailCruiser 26' just okay. Have you had to upgrade your engine much?
(dual exhaust, Fastchip computer upgrade chip, two cold air intakes, adjustable timing control, 15* advance)

Mine is stock, and up until the last few months it has towed great. Lately I notice it is not as fast up the hills as it used to be but it also just turned 190,000. I do have the 4.10 rear end which I'm sure helps and I'm also not shy about dropping it to second, putting my foot on the floor and holding it there until I get to the top. The worst thing is encountering a commuter car half way up the grade that causes me to drop out of the power band. Then it's just a slow crawl to get back up to speed. Since I still have kids I'll probably look for a 3/4 ton with a 454 when this one dies.

lbrjet

Gold Canyon, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/18 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 12 and 14 use the same bars, so I don't see how the 14 is going to put more stress on your frame. The 14 hitch head will be heavier to lug around.

2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> New Equal-i-zer Hitch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS