Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: If your RV is older, keep moving, stranger!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> If your RV is older, keep moving, stranger!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 06:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ANY rule I do not like is no problem, that is because I am on wheels, and the road beckons!
I have never been turned away because of the age of my RV.
However, I have been turned away because we were traveling with 2 cats and a dog (RULE: No more than two pets). Since I called ahead looking for a spot for 13 weeks, I didn't even darken their entryway.
I have refused to even consider an RV park because they had a "No firearms" rule. No, I didn't have any in the RV, I just didn't like the rule, and didn't want to support them.
I never consider any RV parking lot that has "Resort" in the name. Such places (and the people they attract) are simply too sophisticated for this ol' country boy.
Nearly all of our travel these days is in-state, and either to a Forest Service campground or the Famcamp at the AFB.
Either way, no problem with damfool rules. Just common-sense, logical rules.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Automatic, 4X4
Other toys: a pair of Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 07:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your rig is actually in good shape, they usually forget to ask but it gives them the option to say no if it's in rough shape.

You see it as turning away business but reality is when a park loads up with old worn out rigs, it scares off the newer more expensive rigs who are more willing to pay those high prices. Once they are stuck with the older cheaper rigs, it usually comes with a lower willingness to pay $1000/month, so in the long run they lose far more letting you in.

If you don't like the price of admission, there are lots of other parks available.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 07:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

You see it as turning away business but reality is when a park loads up with old worn out rigs, it scares off the newer more expensive rigs who are more willing to pay those high prices.

Indeed.

[image]

[image]

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 07:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ready for a fun old RV Story?
If yes, read on.

We have an older coach often referred to as vintage or classic. We are also members of an active owners chapter. Ours is 45 this year and the newest are 40. While I will admit that our is kind of shabby, many are and look much nicer than what you see on dealer lots. Wagonmasters is close to that type.

There was a rally scheduled at a campground that had sent the wagonmaster a letter and brochure. Said wagonmaster had scheduled the event before seeing the property, but others had an assured him it was nice. He had business that took him close by two weeks prior, so he diverted to spend a night there.

When he arrived, he went into the office and was told that the coach was too old. This took him by surprise and questions were asked and there was no exception to be made. So, he went back to his coach and returned to the office with the roster of registrants for the rally and required a full refund for all thirty three registrants. When they tried to pull the cancellation fee, he pulled out his lawyer card and told them that they were the cancelling party and he could well sue them for the cancellation. He left with every bit of the money he expected.

His wife (also a quick thinker) had been waiting in coach with their guides and other books and also on the phone while he was managing the undeal. They went up the road to another campground that they maintain was nicer and less expensive than the other.

It was a very pleasant place and that was a good rally.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

punomatic

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/18 08:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A month after we bought our brand new 2016 Retro, we stopped at "Lah-de-dah RV Resort" in Yuma. While I was talking to the pleasant lady in the office, and she was getting us checked in, her phone rang. She answered and this is what transpired:
Lady: "Hello, "Lah-de-dah RV Resort. Oh? You don't say. Well, hold on a minute."
To me: "Sir, what year is your trailer?"
Me: "2016. It is one month old."
Lady to phone: "It's OK; it's one of those Retros."

She checked us in and we had a nice stay, but I'm pretty sure if our trailer had looked as new as it does and I told her it was a 1972 model, she would have sent us packing.

I do understand why they have such a rule. These days, a landlord has the deck stacked against him. Unless he has some kind of published policy about who can and cannot stay in the park and enforces it, it is nearly impossible to evict a deadbeat. The landlord may even be charged with discrimination if Cousin Eddie gets in and is then "threatened" with eviction for failure to pay rent.

DW me, and Lulu (the Moxie with moxie!)
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 08:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have encountered the 10 year rule. mostly near Las Vegas. but one park in S.E. Georgia has it too.. I parked 3 miles n by nw of that park for 3 years.

My Theory upon which I normally base my decision to PARK ELSEWHERE (Even when the age of my RV was measured in MONTHS not years) is this.

They have so much business they have to turn it away. Thus they need not mine.

now in the case of the GA park I had several other reasons to not park there as well.. but the park 3 miles nxnw was great. no trees, but great.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Captain_Happy

Pahrump, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/18 08:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess I'll just stay out here in the western states and enjoy more reasonable rates and get held up with over inflated fees. The little park I camp hosted at last year had 10 spaces. Surrounded by large cottonwood trees, a small building with a washing machine & dryer. $20.00 per night, and $110.00 per week, $320.00 a month. Not these are the types of parks I like to stay in. Because I really don't fell like paying for all the bells and whistle that I don't need or want.

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 08:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Captain_Happy wrote:

I really don't fell like paying for all the bells and whistle that I don't need or want.

The thing is.
A lot of people want all those bells and whistles.
Some RV parks are like cruise ships where they have something for everybody, workshops, sewing room, card tables, full video library. That doesn't come cheap. It's not a campground.

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 08:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

punomatic wrote:

Lady: "Hello, "Lah-de-dah RV Resort. Oh? You don't say. Well, hold on a minute."
To me: "Sir, what year is your trailer?"
Me: "2016. It is one month old."
Lady to phone: "It's OK; it's one of those Retros."

She checked us in and we had a nice stay, but I'm pretty sure if our trailer had looked as new as it does and I told her it was a 1972 model, she would have sent us packing.

That's a good one. No doubt some busy body who appointed themselves mayor or host of the campground LOL. You have to love em.

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/18 08:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ohhell, you seem to harbor a lot of resentment/anger issues.

Just relax a little bit and you may actually enjoy life a little better.

Not everyone is out to screw the little man.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2014 Ram 2500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2016 Lacrosse 324RST

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> If your RV is older, keep moving, stranger!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS