Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: In-wall space heater install on Eagle Cap 1160
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> In-wall space heater install on Eagle Cap 1160

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Boatycall

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/18 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So yesterday I went to work on my solar and got that up and running. Today's weather was not to be as good, so I wanted to knock out a much easier project, installing an in-wall 110v space heater. I had been using just a plug in freestanding heater when I'm heating it for winter or camping in a place with hookups. I wanted to ditch that and build one in.

The only place in the whole TC I could find that had a place to mount, unobstructed venting, and accessible wiring was into the dinette seat cabinet, facing it upwards towards the bunk -- which is perfect because the furnace doesn't do a good job getting heat up into the bunk area.

First - power. Redo the fridge's outlet. It's on a 15a circuit, and is the only thing on that circuit except an outlet inside.

[image]

[image]

I made a heavy duty plug in to plug into it (the one in the pic is the fridge). EC had already tapped a second outlet on it, so I opted to just use a plug in.

Drilling a hole in the wall and running the wire was a bit of a pain - had to break out a wire fish, I kept hitting (presumably) a wall brace. Finally got a wire route through and down.

[image]

Next, cut a whole in the dinette pedistal

[image]

Wire the thermostat--

[image]

I also took this opportunity to run an outlet next to the storage door since there isn't an outlet on that side of an EC.

[image]

Heater mounted and wire run

[image]

Final mounting of the heater and thermostat

[image]

[image]

I went with a Broan 750/1500 watt because the heat element can be split to either 750 or 1500w. The thought there - I'm plugged into just a 15a extension cord I can still run the heater and fridge. I'm plugged into 30a service I can switch it to 1500w. It's intended to be hard-wired one way or the other permanently, but very easy to modify with a switch to the second heating coil.

It's also upside down - I wanted the vent pointing up into the bunk rather than down into the floor.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/18 05:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice project.
I really wanted to do the same thing but could never find a good location for it.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2018 Silver Fox 32A - many mods to come!
H0NDA eu2000i

[email protected]

Gresham, OR, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/18 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cool project! No, wait...WARM project!

One thing I would mention is that the refer in many RVs is right next to the MW oven. And that has 20 Amp wiring usually. Better for any electrical heater to keep it from tripping the 15 amp breaker too often. In my two RVs it would have been a simple matter to run an extension from the MW cabinet into that outside refer cabinet down from the MW. There's a couple inches between the MW and the refer. That is if you even have a MW cabinet.

Just sayin'.

* This post was edited 02/11/18 06:29pm by [email protected] *

[email protected]
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/18 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

looks great , like a factory job.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/18 09:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a side note, they make toe-kick heaters as well but my rv's have always had shorter than normal residential cabinets so they wouldn't work.
Byt maybe some would.

Reality Check

North Bend

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cleanly done sir. Great little upgrade. We too, keep a small portable in the camper during the winter..it's a bit of a PITA.

That will get good use for sure. Time well spent I dare say.

'07 F550 with Link Ultraride air under an '11 AF 1150. It's either a fishing boat, snowmobiles or dual sports; something is always being towed.

My wife says that I have an opinion and that you're entitled to it. You're welcome...

jimh425

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice modification.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

3 tons

CA.

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats, Great upgrade and a uber clean install !!

3 tons

billyray50

North Dallas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice install...I am leaning towards the plat cat vented heater more of my dry camping needs.

mikakuja

Chilliwack BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice mod, and nicely done!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> In-wall space heater install on Eagle Cap 1160
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS