Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: best in-bed combo toolbox/aux fuel tank?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> best in-bed combo toolbox/aux fuel tank?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
obie311

Aux Arcs

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/18 10:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm pulling a 5'er with an 8' bed crewcab. I've been thinking a diamond plate aux tank/toolbox might be handy to have and not compromise towing and backing the coach.

Lots of US made brands available but without metal specs posted it's hard to tell who makes the best ones. When I spec'ed truck bodies in my old job we used to make jockey boxes out of 10 ga. steel but with aluminum I don't know what's sufficient for this application.

I'm familiar with Dee Zee and Lund of course. I'm not familiar at all with RDS, Better Built, UWS, Aluminum Tank Industries.

Another 40- 70 gallons would be good and a decent sized tool box for jumper cables, DEF jug, lug wrench, cribbing, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help.

austingta

Austin TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 01:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had an RDS 60 gallon tank and it was high-quality. No problems with it. Nice locking cap and gauge too. It fit below the rails. They make a combo too...

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200370678_200370678

Frank Brooks Austin TX
2017 Ram 1500 4WD 5.7

wlstroud

Statesville, N.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/18 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been using a 91 gal RDS combo box since 2006. It's been great!. I gravity feed fuel via the truck fill tube (T-fitting). Toolbox is somewhat shallow due to large tank but box holds all the tools I want to carry. Combo does not ride above the side rails of truck. Extra fuel capacity allows me to shop for best prices. One note: If I open the fill valve to continually meter fuel into the truck's tank, eventually I will get a CIC as the truck's computer doesn't see the fuel level diminishing as miles go by.

Larry (WB4WSA)
2006 Ford F350, CC, XLT Dually 6.0 PSD
2006 Keystone Copper Canyon 339FWTSLS FW
2013 Coleman 16QB Expedition LT TT

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/18 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't forget Transferflow. At least I think they make what your looking for. If they do, tad pricey. Northern Tool as well.

2015 F350 XLT FX4, CC, SB, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

George H

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Used 50 gallon TransferFlow combination since 2002, only issue was accuracy of the fuel guage (factory tank reads 5 gallons low for last few years).

George, Juanita and Mandie (boss Shar-Pei)
01 F350, PSD, DRW
05 Carri-Lite 32RS3

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 11:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RDS and JME are best quality I've seen. Then Weathergard. Never seen a transfer flow, but most of the Deezee, Kobalt, etc brands are lesser quality.
Get what you pay for type of thing.
I've only had about 20 new truck boxes and or tanks in the last 20+ years and been around 100s of them in our trucks. FWIW, Weathergard is probably the best selling.

That said, not a lot to go wrong with a fuel tank. They all hold fuel just the same. Never seen one leak and a toolbox for casual use, any brand will likely last a long time.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500, Mega, 4wd, 5.9 G56, BD Triple Dog, SB ceramic clutch, Industrial Injection Dragonfly Injectors, GDP 2 micron filter, Firestone Bags, Big Wig swaybar, homemade stable loads, ATI viib damper and a BD Brake

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the space taken in a tool box for a fuel tank it would make the tool box portion IMHO useless!

Also people "think" this is something they have to have for some unknown reason kinda like having to go to Mexico for Dental work.

Another thing to consider is the weight you are adding to the rear axle when most are pushing it's limits already.

"IF" I were to add fuel capacity I would go with the Titan 55 gallon replacement tank.

Here is my extra fuel capacity that I keep in my bed high 30" front to back tool box. I have needed to use this ONCE even with my 32 gallon OE capacity.

I did modify the fuel container with an add on vent and standard nozzle so it would actually pour fuel.

[image][image]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the 60 gallon RDS. Installed when I bought the truck new 6 years ago. Best upgrade I have done. Gravity fill, I leave it open all the time, and I have never seen a check engine light.

Pretty sill to compare a aux tank to a 5 gallon container. And the Titan replacement tanks are nice, but IMO that is too much $ to spend on an extra 15 or 20 gallons of capacity.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Pretty sill to compare a aux tank to a 5 gallon container."

Silly? OK if you say so. I was trying to show that a person may not really NEED a extra fuel tank. Also the fact I have only needed it once. Cost was minimal and to add to the Silly conversation it is very unlikely anyone will pay back the cost.

As I showed a real toolbox is a much better thing to have IMHO.

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"Pretty sill to compare a aux tank to a 5 gallon container."

Silly? OK if you say so. I was trying to show that a person may not really NEED a extra fuel tank. Also the fact I have only needed it once. Cost was minimal and to add to the Silly conversation it is very unlikely anyone will pay back the cost.

As I showed a real toolbox is a much better thing to have IMHO.

Your alternative is sill. And off topic.

The OP states that he is looking for something with a capacity between 40 - 70 gallons. And you tell him he should look at a 5 gallon plastic tank that will give him an extra what, 40ish miles, but he still has to stop and pour it into his main tank to use it. He didn't ask for a full tool box and plastic jug. He asked for combo tank experience.

Without exception, when these threads come up, you step in with your opinion that a aux fuel tank isn't "needed". Obviously the OP thinks otherwise.

As far as "payback the cost", for most of us that have an aux tank, it isn't about "paying back the cost". Nor is it a matter of "I can only drive for so long before I have to stop to eat or use the restroom". It is about being able to chose where you stop, not be forced to stop because you have driven for 300 miles and are now out of range.

And, since you already brought this off topic, I can tell you with confidence that I in fact have "paid back" the cost multiple times over.

Now, hopefully we can get back to the posts answering the topic at hand.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> best in-bed combo toolbox/aux fuel tank?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS