Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Used motorhome, interested in A or C
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Used motorhome, interested in A or C

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

don,t kill the sprinter on your list till you look them over.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 10:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, yeah if you're looking for new used, like less than 5 years old, $50k is going to get you a high mile diesel or a lowish mile gasser.
But I just hit up Craigslist here and in the first couple pages seen probably a dozen low mile, mostly As, some Cs for under $50k or "could get it for 50" with a little haggling. Few bigger low mile diesel As in that price range too.
For example, there was an 04 or 05, low mile, garaged its whole life, beautiful full paint diesel pusher, like new lookin, probably a $150k + rig new, Within your budget.
For me, the difference between gas and diesel would boil down to how many miles you plan on putting on it. Not for overall miles, as a Ford V10 drivetrain should last a long time, pretty bulletproof. More for fuel mileage. If I was packing on the miles X country, I'd rather get 50% better fuel mileage and range.
You're looking at a limited market for As as most are 30' plus. And most Cs are gassers.
Keep looking and don't limit yourself to your immediate area. It's a big purchase and if you can score a deal somewhere, a RV inspection and a plane ticket is not that expensive.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

Capeteacher

North Cape May, NJ

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/18 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good morning everyone.
Went to the AC RV show this weekend. Saw some very nice new models and was able to get a good feel of the different sizes. Since I am looking for a used MH I looked at prices to gauge what a used model would cost. It is correct most of the sprinter models have a low carrying capacity.
At the moment I am focusing on 3 models 24'-26' range. Phoenix Cruiser, Gulf Stream BT Cruiser, both Class C and the Class A Thor Axis/Vegas 24.1. This is the model I rented when they came out in 2014. That would be the biggest at 26'. I've seen some already for under 50k.
The Phoenix and BT cruisers I've seen on RVTrader and rv.net can be as old as 2002-2003. So how old is too old? Some have high mileage some low. These are Fords E-350 or 450, not sprinters. I am looking to buy in the fall so I have time for more to come on the market. Since it was asked by another post, I do not plan to tow a car, I'll use Uber, Lyft, rentals, shuttles and such.

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/18 09:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take a look at this 2008 Phoenix Cruiser with 21,622 miles for $34,000

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-rvs-f........-motorhome/2008-phoenix-cruiser_rv-37435

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/18 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How old is too old?
Same question is asked weekly if not more. It’s totally subjective and if you can do your due diligence you can find an “old” (RV, vehicle, washing machine, etc) that will give about the same reliability as new for much less $, or it might be a pile of ____ that was ride hard and put up wet. If not willing or knowledgeable enough to really look at a particular purchase then new or near new is a safer decision.

IMO that’s why private party purchases are “safer” with used things. Dealers are all used car salesman and every rig out there is a cream puff driven by a little old lady on Sunday. Go look at a rig at someone’s house and you can get a good idea how they maintained and cared for it. You’re judging the owner almost as much as the vehicle.

Capeteacher

North Cape May, NJ

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/18 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

How old is too old?
Same question is asked weekly if not more. It’s totally subjective and if you can do your due diligence you can find an “old” (RV, vehicle, washing machine, etc) that will give about the same reliability as new for much less $, or it might be a pile of ____ that was ride hard and put up wet. If not willing or knowledgeable enough to really look at a particular purchase then new or near new is a safer decision.

IMO that’s why private party purchases are “safer” with used things. Dealers are all used car salesman and every rig out there is a cream puff driven by a little old lady on Sunday. Go look at a rig at someone’s house and you can get a good idea how they maintained and cared for it. You’re judging the owner almost as much as the vehicle.

Thanks

Capeteacher

North Cape May, NJ

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/18 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2gypsies wrote:

Take a look at this 2008 Phoenix Cruiser with 21,622 miles for $34,000

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-rvs-f........-motorhome/2008-phoenix-cruiser_rv-37435

Thanks, that's a good one. A little too long for me I think, looking at around 25'

Capeteacher

North Cape May, NJ

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/18 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would actually love to be able to buy a used Thor Axis/Vegas 24.1 if one comes available in my price range at the end of the summer b

bsinmich

Holland, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/18 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is one thing to be added f0r a gas motorhome. There are mechanics all over who can fix something on any gas chassis out there. If you have a problem with the MB chassis you will gave to take it to the proper dealer and nit all of them service RVs. I have 108K miles on my Roadtrek with a Dodge 318 engine. It uses no oil in the 6-7000 miles between changes. I had all the hoses and belts changed when I bought it and it has not let me down yet.

1975 GMC Eleganza II & 1995 Roadtrek Versatile. Both old enough to vote and drink (gas)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Used motorhome, interested in A or C
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS