Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Chevy S10 and Ultra Lite Trailers.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Chevy S10 and Ultra Lite Trailers.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I towed a 25ft Award TT. 3800lb, 5000lb loaded trailer with a 95 Explorer 4dr with the 4.0L V-6. It performed decent here in the flat Midwest. Handled great with decent power.
This was our first time RV’ing with a TT. So I only had a WD hitch with a friction sway bar and cheap brake controller. I never had any stability issues, but an even better WD hitch with built in sway control would’ve been better along with a better brake controller.

With that we need more info on your truck. Reg cab, extended cab, long bed, short bed, which V-6, factory tow pkg, or not as well as gear ratio.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

07 Cherokee 32B Dexter EZ Flex
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese DualCam Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!

rjstractor

Auburn, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd say yes, if you manage your expectations. I used to tow a 21' ultralight (3100 lbs dry, 4400 GVWR) with a 4 liter Ford Aerostar that was 40 hp shy of your 4300 Vortec and I felt it did fine. It would pull the 6% Cascade passes at 45, and easily maintained 60 on the flats with overdrive locked out. I also used to own an older full size 1500 with the 160 hp pre-Vortec V6, and flat-towed a Jeep CJ7 from Helena, Montana to Seattle. Again, not with blazing speed, but I could go at least 50 on every hill, including McDonald Pass over the Continental Divide. My point is that while your truck won't pull the trailer with blazing speed and acceleration like a brand new 1500 series pickup with 350 hp, it will do the job. The Vortec 4300 was a strong, solid engine for its day.

Jbrowland

Planning my next trip

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 09:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You won't know for sure until you do it. So many unknown variables in your scenario. This is also kind of a personal thing. Your biggest potential issue is cargo capacity. You will be close to your max with nothing in the truck.

I tow a 4600# trailer (dry weight) with a 2013 Ford F-150 (tow package, V8, 8100# towing limit, WD, Prodigy 2 BC) and I would prefer more truck but that's just me. Mine does a great job until I hit the hills. Especially going down. But that's just me and my comfort zone. I see people towing more than you want to with less than you have all the time.

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an 03 S-10 ZR2 with the 4.3 and a 5 speed manual. Good little motor and pretty powerful for what it is. All that said, I think that would be all it would want and maybe more. Merging with traffic will be a challenge, and hills will be slow but of course that can be managed.

2006 GMC 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2015 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Chevy S10 and Ultra Lite Trailers.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS