Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Towing with a 99 GMC Suburban 7.4L
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Towing with a 99 GMC Suburban 7.4L

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 10:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Simnds is 9% going north from 100th, 11% going south from Inglewood golf course. I used to live at the top by the high school! Never had issues going 30-35 with my 454's, I was in 1st gear a lot! Never did 15 mph.......I did stall them out a lot when over 15-20% grades were found. Did not have the gearing in the transmissions.
Those were 4bbl and tbi 454's. The vortec like this burb has in it, IIRC is 440 lb ft of torque vs 385 for the ones I had, an 290HP vs 235. Some 4.33 or 4.56 gears would help the low end part.

Simonds is nothing, novelty hill coming from Duvall is 18%. IIRC 228th going west from Canyon park is 20+, as it is in front of Fruhling! I've never worried about a freeway grade, but local side roads, are killers!

marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 10:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My take is, sounds like it could be a good deal, as in worth more than $1500, but it's not a practical purchase for your needs. You're buying something that is a veritable turd compared to the new truck in your sig to tow a relatively heavy trailer up the grapevine (Why?) and a SUV at that, to use for building a home? instead of a pickup truck which will be 1000% more useful for construction work.
Unless you plan on flipping it for a profit, you're just spending money because he happens to be selling it IMO.

* This post was edited 02/12/18 11:07pm by Grit dog *

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

bucky

Bunn NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 05:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The gear ratio is all important in that body style with the 7.4 to keep the engine in it's power band. I've towed with 99 Sub and a 99 CC dually with 4.10s and they did fine. The Sub started out as a 3.73, 4.10s woke it up. If you don't hit a hill at 3K rpm you're done. If you do you can accelerate up the hill.
I went to this Cummins when we stepped up to a heavier 5er or I would still have the dually. Our TT had a 1200 lb tongue and scaled at 8600 lbs.
At that price I would buy the truck just to have around.

2005 Cummins 2500 2WD LB quad cab pulling a 2007 Jayco 345bhs. It pulls better than Marcell Ledbetter's mule.

2003silverado

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 05:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree the price/condition/and known history are very enticing. However, like Grit Dog points out a pickup would be more beneficial for your needs. And if it were me, once the novelty of the great deal wore off, I would realize how much of a gas hog it was to use as an around town vehicle.

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 05:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scott, it sounds like your buddy may have had some issues that needed addressing with his Burb. Equipped with 4.10's this Burb has a factory tow rating of 10k lbs.

Grit, the Burb can be quite useful...with the rear seats folded you can get 4x8 sheet goods in and close the back doors. Nice to have them inside if it's raining outside. With the barn doors you can load stuff in the back with a forklift, like pallets of bricks,etc (I've done it). The 8600 GVWR lets you haul a lot of stuff with the stock suspension. Also good for trips to the dump. It's basically a reg cab long bed with the back seats folded, but clean it out and put the seats up and it seats 8.

Downside is that tall things like balled trees, etc., don't fit easily in the back.

It's a 20 year old truck, no getting around that, but that doesn't make it a "Veritable turd."

2001 Suburban 2500LT 8.1L/4.10
2008 Terry TT
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Dill TPMS, CorrecTrack alignment, LT tires

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 05:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It should be fine. I would replace the radiator with a larger one and the thermostat. It probably has 3.73 gems which is why it’s slow and runs warm. If it’s in good shape, $1500 is a good price. You could put some money into it and still come out agrad if you decide to sell.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

07 Cherokee 32B Dexter EZ Flex
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese DualCam Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 05:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your buying it as a good utility vehicle to have around its a worthwhile investment. If you have plans to use it for heavy towing your kidding yourself.

07Duramax w/hips,12Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,K-Bee exhaust brake,RV safepower
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
Arvika rack,BakFlip,RVLock
5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

If your buying it as a good utility vehicle to have around its a worthwhile investment. If you have plans to use it for heavy towing your kidding yourself.

This ^^^^. I don't know where you are going to tow, but with only 290 HP on tap when you get up in altitude things can get very slow. When you get up into some real altitude you can have less than 200 HP to the rear wheels and that is ugly with a 9,000 trailer on your tail.

If you have the money I would buy it and enjoy it until fuel goes up or you get tired of it and sell it.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blt2ski wrote:

Simnds is 9% going north from 100th, 11% going south from Inglewood golf course. I used to live at the top by the high school! Never had issues going 30-35 with my 454's, I was in 1st gear a lot! Never did 15 mph.......I did stall them out a lot when over 15-20% grades were found. Did not have the gearing in the transmissions.
Those were 4bbl and tbi 454's. The vortec like this burb has in it, IIRC is 440 lb ft of torque vs 385 for the ones I had, an 290HP vs 235. Some 4.33 or 4.56 gears would help the low end part.

Simonds is nothing, novelty hill coming from Duvall is 18%. IIRC 228th going west from Canyon park is 20+, as it is in front of Fruhling! I've never worried about a freeway grade, but local side roads, are killers!

marty

Years ago I lost control in the snow and went off the edge of Novelty hill. Ended up in a pile of blackberries and no damage!

I live near the hill on 228. Glad I never had to tow over it.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2018 Silver Fox 32A - many mods to come!
H0NDA eu2000i

falconbrother

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a 454 in my old 1990 model (P-30 chassis) motorhome. That sucker was a powerhouse. It would pull mountains with no issues. I pulled my old CRV behind it at 70+ MPH all the time. I pushed it easy because I didn't want any expensive repairs but, power was never an issue. I never had any overheating issues in the 8 years I owned it. I had read about issues that people had with the 454 but, I never experienced any issues other than having to replace an exhaust gasket, which turned out to be less of an aggravation than I was mentally prepared for.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Towing with a 99 GMC Suburban 7.4L
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS