Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Down sides to being a TT Camper?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Down sides to being a TT Camper?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
Blanco1

Los Angeles

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/18 11:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never gave it much thought till I'm getting closer to buying a TT?

How often do camp grounds that have a limited RV spot have an issues with the truck?

Do most allow you to park for free elsewhere?

I've gone to a few that have a double wide Camp spot & no issues...

But what if its a smaller spot that only fits the trailer & do some of them charge you twice to take another spot to park your truck?
OR????

1997 Dodge 4x4, 5 spd manual trans & HotRod 5.9 cummins.
With '85 Lance.

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 12:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never had a problem parking my truck in front of my TT..

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it! "> Happy Camping!

Blanco1

Los Angeles

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 12:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the cool pics!
Looks like awesome fun!

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 12:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only downsides I've experienced is related to boondocking.

Unless specifically built for it a trailer doesn't want to go off road. For a short distance or on softer ground you might get away with it, but no standard TT or 5r is going to survive getting dragged two dozen miles down a rocky Jeep trail. I love wild camping and feel my trailer holds me back.

Second is stealth or urban camping. A trailer really sticks out, even compared to a motorhome. More and more communities are banning RVs parking on streets because they're afraid of poor people. Tourists trying to visit get punished as a result. A self contained rig can better fit in private parking lots, and is more mobile in general.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 12:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Blanco1 wrote:

Thanks for the cool pics!
Looks like awesome fun!

I actually have a TON more pics of my camp sites with the NEW truck, but just have not posted them on that stupid photobucket site... ha, ha.. these are probably 6+ years ago.. But, we still go to those same State Park sites and the only diff is the newer truck... [emoticon]

Love the 13 F150!

Mitch

Blanco1

Los Angeles

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 01:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the general State park Camp RV size that limits us out of those areas?

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 02:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't speak to California but...

In Michigan, most state parks have adapted to handle the HUGE rv's that seem popular today. 40+ foot fifth wheels and motorhomes. Not every site, but most will handle pretty much anything.

In Utah, the several state parks I'm familiar with are generally the same, with sites to handle the huge beasts and humble small rigs.

Federal parks in general are much more restrictive. You'd want to plan well a visit with any sort of beast motorhome or trailer. There could be issues making tight turns inside the campground, as well as not having a place to park the tow
or towed vehicle.

Travel bloggers / eBeggers Less Junk More Journey recently reported being blocked in their site by another camper while staying at Joshua Tree National Park despite renting two sites. They travel in an extended van and a large Airstream. I didn't finish watching the video, as I don't like phony attempts at drama to increase ratings.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 04:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Usually, they account for the truck when giving you a site.

If they only have a site for a 20' trailer and you show up with a 40' monster, they are probably not going to give you the site (plus it's often difficult to get the trailer into such a tiny site anyway).

Of course, if your logic is to get a MH with a TOAD, for a simlar size overall, you have the same issue of where to put the car.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

trailer_newbe

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 04:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 28’ with an overall length of 33.5’ and tow with a Tundra CrewMax. So far the State Parks have never been an issue. Plenty of room to un-hitch and park. Our experance with private parks isn’t the same. Your neighbor is much closer, and most of the time my truck had to be parked along side.

When it comes to RV’s keep in mind the insurance is sometimes astronomical compared to an TT. The finance lady at Camping World told me many people are ready to buy an RV until they find out how much the insurance is. I’ve also been in some private parks where slots for large RV’s are very limited.

2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

Crabbypatty

Long Island, New York

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 04:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Specifically selected a TT with kids, so we can disconnect and explore adventure. I have never been in an rv park that requires you to separate. Always park on site. Have owned a TT for 14 years and its our "second home" for 30 -40 nights a year.

John, Lisa & Tara">">">
2015 F250 4x4 Platinum, 6.2L 6 spd 3.73 gears, Reese 12klb w/dual cam, Prodigy, Sunny Brook Sunset Creek 298 BH, Trojan 125's, 448 watts Solar Morning Star 45, Honda EU3000, Dish TV, Xantrax Pure Sine 2000, Wilson Cellular Ant/Amp

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Down sides to being a TT Camper?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS