Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Easy Automatic headlight modification
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Easy Automatic headlight modification

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Mich upnorth

Niles, MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 06:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2016 f-150 has the led drl and auto headlights. However, the auto lights don’t come on early enough in my opinion or when it is raining or snowing and the drl doesn’t have the taillights on. My fix for that was to take a piece of black electrical tape and put on the automatic sensor on the dash. I then leave the light switch on auto. Whenever the ignition is on the lights are on and I don’t have to worry about leaving them on and running down the battery. If I don’t want the lights on for any reason, I can turn the switch to just the running lights or to off.

Bob & Barb
2016 F-150 Ecoboost Lariat Crewcab
2014 Coachman Catalina 30RLS

1995brave

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't use the auto headlights. I like to turn my headlights on and off when I need to. On during rain, fog, or when getting dark. Off when running from the cops [emoticon]

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just completely disabled the DRLs (Daytime Running Lights). On U.S. sold trucks, there is an option in the menus to do that (but not on Canadian sold trucks). My lights are not always on, but if they are on, they are all on. Personally, I am OK with when the lights decide to come on.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you all afraid of wasting electricity by leaving the lights on?

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fizz wrote:

Are you all afraid of wasting electricity by leaving the lights on?

X2

Big peave of mine are folks who know they're smarter than the headlight controller and end up driving at dusk or in poor visibility with no lights at all.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

Dr Quick

M'boro, Tn

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe it was many years ago that "Grey Hound" found out that by leaving bus headlights on in the day time they reduced their accidents about 10 percent.
On dull hazy days certain vehicle colors like grey and med blues on a black top road will almost blend in and are hard to see.
Canada has had a day time running light law for about 40+ years and I wish that the US had one too.
On any vehicle that I have owned in the last 30 years, if they did not have daytime running lights I have added them. I figure the sooner someone sees me coming the less chance they will hit me.

Dr Quick

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had them activated on my Ram.
One thing I didn't think about was pulling into a CG at night and not being able to turn my lights off while maneuvering. I end up lighting up someone else's campsite needlessly.

BTW, on Ram trucks the DRL's are actually the high-beams run at a 50% duty cycle.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2018 Silver Fox 32A - many mods to come!
H0NDA eu2000i

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

I had them activated on my Ram.
One thing I didn't think about was pulling into a CG at night and not being able to turn my lights off while maneuvering. I end up lighting up someone else's campsite needlessly.

BTW, on Ram trucks the DRL's are actually the high-beams run at a 50% duty cycle.

The dealer I bought my 2500 wouldn't flash the code for high beams, claiming USDOT specified low beams ... I couldn't find that specification but didn't argue with them. So the low beams are on dim instead.

I don't feel bad about driving around a campground with my headlights on. Being able to see people and objects in or near the narrow road is far more important than temporarily shining light onto someone's campfire.

msb1766

Guilderland, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have experienced the same thing, My Ram 2500 does not have day time running lights and you can not adjust the auto headlight sensor like I can on my daughters Jeep Renegade, So I took half a lens from a pair of tinted safety glasses and covered the sensor with it, works great.

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup, piece of electric tape on the automatic sensor works great on my Ram. I can easily turn the switch from AUTO to PARKING LIGHTS when I am backing into a parking spot at the campground.

I am a firm believer that lights on all the time makes me more visible and from a further distance, thus making me safer. Its a requirement on motorcycles and a lot of trucking companies believe in the theory of "lights on for safety". I rarely have a bulb burn out, and when they do its a couple dollars to replace. I currently have LED's in my Ram headlights, so I expect them to last longer than I own the truck.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Easy Automatic headlight modification
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS