Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Easy Automatic headlight modification
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Easy Automatic headlight modification

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spoon059 wrote:

Yup, piece of electric tape on the automatic sensor works great on my Ram. I can easily turn the switch from AUTO to PARKING LIGHTS when I am backing into a parking spot at the campground.

I am a firm believer that lights on all the time makes me more visible and from a further distance, thus making me safer. Its a requirement on motorcycles and a lot of trucking companies believe in the theory of "lights on for safety". I rarely have a bulb burn out, and when they do its a couple dollars to replace. I currently have LED's in my Ram headlights, so I expect them to last longer than I own the truck.

x2. it isn't as much to help me see and to make sure OTHERS SEE ME.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GordonThree wrote:

Fizz wrote:

Are you all afraid of wasting electricity by leaving the lights on?

X2

Big peave of mine are folks who know they're smarter than the headlight controller and end up driving at dusk or in poor visibility with no lights at all.

I have been driving with headlights/tail lights on for 50 years! Don’t think I used any more bulbs than most, did kill a battery or two.
Like the signs say “ Lights On For Safety!” Much easier to be seen!

Russ & Paula
The Beagles Precious, and Belle.
2001 Dodge 2500 4X4, 5.9 Cummins, NV4500, 3.55's, Pacbrake PRXB, DS Power Puck,Bilstein 5100's, 310,000 miles.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360# GCVW 19,500#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To DRL or not DRL that is the question:
NOTE: I favor DRL, I was a police dispatcher for 25 years.

Some folks like to say "More recent studies have failed to confirm" but there is a flaw in this. Studies made back when Some cars had DRL and some did not showed those without were more likely to be involved in accidents.

Canada responded by passing a law, DRLs mandatory Chevy (All GM cars) then responded by building them all with DRL. Ford made one car for Canada one for US (one of the reasons I'm anti-Ford).

THe flaw is that now all cars in Canada have DRL's so "No DRL" cars are not much involved in accidents (Being vintage cars over something like 30 years old)

Personal observation.. I have been sitting on Clarita waiting to pull out on Telegraph as I did nearly every working day for 25 years, and seen a car with DRL's before I saw the non DRL car IN FRONT OF IT.. Let that scare you,

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

Personal observation.. I have been sitting on Clarita waiting to pull out on Telegraph as I did nearly every working day for 25 years, and seen a car with DRL's before I saw the non DRL car IN FRONT OF IT.. Let that scare you,

Had a similar experience driving home from the grocery tonight during dusk.

Driving west, the horizon was bright behind oncoming traffic.

Some jackhole was driving a modern era vehicle with his headlights purposefully turned off. Very hard to see when waiting for a left hand turn. He only stood out as a shadow across the cars behind him with their lights on.

Folks shouldn't be able to endanger other drivers with their protest against government safety mandates.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

Crowe

Billerica, MA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MA just passed a law "wipers on lights on". I personally have seen a major difference when driving in the rain. I leave my lights on auto all the time, mostly because I am forgetful at times. I don't understand the big deal about leaving them on or why someone would choose not to run them in darker conditions. Canada did major studies and found that lights on at all times drastically reduced accidents in certain areas.

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe,

I thought that was enacted a while ago...maybe 3-5 years?

For those with DRL's in campgrounds, many vehicles will shut the DRL's off if the parking brake is engaged to the first click. Our motorhome (W-22) and Suzuki XL-7 work that way. When pulling into a campground at night, once I get the rig "roughed in", I lightly engage the parking brake and the DRL's shut off.

~Rick

2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (21-Angel, Lexi96.org), 1 girl (16), 2 boys (18 & 15). Two Chinook dogs, 14 & 12.
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why do so many advocate driving around a dark campground with out lights?

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GordonThree wrote:

Why do so many advocate driving around a dark campground with out lights?

Not 'without lights,' but just without headlights. As a courtesy to other campers.

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... (Ecclesiastes 3)
Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 06:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There ought to be a law... [emoticon]

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know why you would need your taillights on when your DRL are on ?
Now that they have started using LED DRL's I'm OK with them.

I don't drive around the campground with the headlights off. I just make sure that they are on the dim setting. But as I back, or pull, into my campsite I turn them off. I don't like it when someone else blinds me with there headlights as I set peacefully around the campfire enjoying the campfire light so I don't blind them either.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Easy Automatic headlight modification
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS