Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Better fire extinguisher than the Kidde replacement?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Better fire extinguisher than the Kidde replacement?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/18 10:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you reread my post you'll see I wasn't talking about standing outside using the Halon. I said I had purchased a larger dry chemical extinguisher. But if it looked like I could still save the trailer that I would tie the handle, toss it in and close the door. I keep stainless zip ties taped to the fire extinguishers.

myredracer

No camping in the US now due to covid.

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/18 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dpgllg wrote:

After a period of time these extinquishers need to be discharged and the tanks tested much like recertification of a propane tank. I have been gone from this so long I do not remember what the time period is.
Dave

From what I can tell off the internet, dry chemical extinguishers need to be hydrostatically tested every 12 years and internally inspected every 5 years, at least in a commercial setting. I once took an extinguisher into a local shop to get tested and it was quite expensive. They are supposed to be visually inspected monthly. I don't like that the Kidde extinguisher being replaced doesn't have a gauge on it so you can't tell if it is properly charged. So what should be done in an RV? Replace every 5 years, or 12 years or?

My dad once had one of these fire fighting "grenades" in our house. They were used up until about the 50s and were filled with carbon tetracholoride which is very toxic.
[image]

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/18 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SaltiDawg wrote:

"Classy" - and predictable reply

You must regret, ever so slightly, posting your credo to live by. Or, maybe not!
Two useful posts in the same thread.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

RedRollingRoadblock

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/21 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought Mac the Fire Guy passed. I know that he had some heart problems several years ago.

CapnCampn

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/21 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ran across these while surfing last week.

Element Fire Extinguishers

I'm pretty interested in getting a couple for vehicles, though they are not cheap my any means.

Small light, never need maintenance, 50 or 100 second run time depending on the size, A,B,C,K rated.

They work by using a KNO3 reaction to flood the area with Potassium (K) to bind oxygen.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/3001/3........80/files/ElementOperationDescription.pdf

Seems Promising.

CC

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Better fire extinguisher than the Kidde replacement?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.