Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Got to lift the fiver
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Got to lift the fiver

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Wills6.4 Hemi

meadows

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/18 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well with the new Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4 the fiver has to be lifted. the springs are on top of axle already. Found a company that makes blocks to lift it more. Bigger tires are not an option as they will not clear unless fiver is lifted. Anybody else had to resort to this?

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/18 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sure, lots of members have done that. There is an excellent post here that was recently done and explains, with pictures, how he lifted his rig. Many others have done basically the same thing or had dealer do it.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
2019 Ram Limited 1500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, SB
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

Ski Pro 3

Placerville, CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/18 06:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I helped a buddy lift his 5er. We build a subframe out of box steel 6" tall. (maybe it was 8")
Anyways, we cut off the hangers, welded up the frame extension to the bottom of the existing frame plus boxed it in by connecting left to right side, got new hangers and welded those up and then reinstalled the shackles, leafs and axles. (Tandem axles) Works great! Oh, we had to extend the brake wires due to the extra lift.

It helps that my buddy is a machinist and we had all the equipment to lift and block the 5er as we did the work. I learned a lot!!

2006 Dodge Ram 4x4 crew cab w/diesel and manual tranny.
2012 Lance 855S camper

Wild Card

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/18 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can also reverse level the truck. Then add airbags to level the truck after pin weight is added

2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

azrving

Oatman

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/18 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't use spacer blocks. I'd build a subframe as they said.

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/18 08:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lifting the trailer will add a lot of lateral stress to its frame. Weld in a substantial X member between the rear axle shackle hangers to negate those forces.
Its the 'wag the dog' flexing effect as well as fatigue in your frame that could lead to frame failure of the spring hangers breaking away from the frame.

htss

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/18 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How much lift do you need? You could put on something like Lippert's Correct Track and get a couple inches of lift. I put on the Morryde SRE4000 and got about an inch of lift.

2012 Chevy 2500HD DA - 2009 Open Range (33.5' fifth wheel) - B&W Companion - 40 gallon aux tank - Myself, wife and two kids

Dayle1

Spicewood, Tx

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/18 06:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wills6.4 Hemi wrote:

Well with the new Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4 the fiver has to be lifted. the springs are on top of axle already. Found a company that makes blocks to lift it more. Bigger tires are not an option as they will not clear unless fiver is lifted. Anybody else had to resort to this?

Lifting this way puts more side stress on the hangers. Also the main frame rails can twist, so cross bracing is important. Finally any added side stress added with normal stress at the three hangers increases the risk of main frame cracking. For all these reasons a fully boxed subframe is the better solution as has been recommended. Just depends on your risk tolerance.

Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/18 06:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

htss wrote:

How much lift do you need? You could put on something like Lippert's Correct Track and get a couple inches of lift. I put on the Morryde SRE4000 and got about an inch of lift.

The Lippert Correct Track will give you 2" of lift, I added it to the TT so I could fit LT tires.

2001 Suburban 2500LT 8.1L/4.10
2008 Terry TT
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Dill TPMS, CorrecTrack alignment, LT tires

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/18 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Common problem with new trucks and older trailers. Good thing you bought the dually, SRW sits higher yet. There have been some excellent posts on this forum the last couple of years with pictures showing solutions. Make sure you have enough headroom so you don't get too tall.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Got to lift the fiver
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS