Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Got to lift the fiver
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Got to lift the fiver

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/18 10:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SDcampowneroperator wrote:

Lifting the trailer will add a lot of lateral stress to its frame. Weld in a substantial X member between the rear axle shackle hangers to negate those forces.
Its the 'wag the dog' flexing effect as well as fatigue in your frame that could lead to frame failure of the spring hangers breaking away from the frame.

This is exactly right. I ended up with a poor handling trailer and some cracks in the frame where various items were welded to it. Had a welder weld in 3 - 2"x3" boxed steel between the sping hangers with 2" square tubing welded from them up on angles to the frame with fishplates, and weld up the cracks in the frame. Problem solved and the trailer handles like night and day.

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/18 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is driving you to feel you need to raise the trailer? My trailer sits a couple inches nose high. I was told it wasn’t a big deal. Is it?

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 2003 Jetcraft 2125 - Yamaha 150 HP & 8 HP Kicker

Ski Pro 3

Placerville, CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/18 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A couple things come to mind Dave;
1. From your signature photo, I can see that the tail of the 5er is much closer to the ground than if it were level. Could cause a drag going over drive entrances, and such I suppose.
2. On level ground, the 5er is not level. All other things considered, a leveled 5er is instantly usable without need to unhook to level.
3. I've seen the bed rails of a few trucks damaged from a 5er that was low. In fact, that's why my buddy and I lifted his.

2006 Dodge Ram 4x4 crew cab w/diesel and manual tranny.
2012 Lance 855S camper

lee worsdell

elmvale

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/18 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did it on my rushmore had a spring shop put in a 2 inch block to level up. works good

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/18 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I looked into it and would be comfortable going 1-2" with blocks if that's all you need. More than that and I think you need sub-frame. Mine does tow a bit nose high which I'm just living with. I have plenty of bed rail clearance. My main issue is the back end dragging sometimes.

Blazing Zippers

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/18 11:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We raised our Cougar--a trailer manufacturer nearby raised it 3 inches with a boxed frame. It cost about $1200.00. It handles well, but does require an after market step for my bride to get in and out.
One side note--we are just about max height (13'2") and need to be aware of obstacles.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/18 05:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having pulled trailers for a living I've seen the results of adding suspension blocks to trailers. Some were disasters down the road. I've raised three rv trailers....one was a axle flip.......another a subframe lift.....and adding 3/8" X 3"wide X 12"long steel gusseted plates with adjustable holes to both sides cross braced on a stacked tube frame tandem axles.
I don't know of any trailer mfg or axle mfg who uses suspension blocks or recommends them nor are they offered as a option on multiaxle trailers.
A 1-800 to Dexter engineers and Rockwell American axle mfg says they don't recommend suspension blocks because of side stresses while turning.

For those that don't understand the difference in a trailers suspension stress vs a trucks suspension a google on that subject can enlighten you on those differences.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Wills6.4 Hemi

meadows

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Update, I found a spring shop that can take 3 short springs that are for lift only total 1 1/2 inches and re arch my current springs for a total of around 4 inch drop of the rear of the truck. May not need a modification to fiver. The spring shop is the go to place in our area and work on everything from 1/2 tons to cement trucks. Estimated cost $300.

Ski Pro 3

Placerville, CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 10:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A four inch drop is going to have to reconfigure a lot more than just suspension. Brake lines, drive lines will need to be shortened. Shocks will need to be resized for the shorter suspension travel. How much space between the axle and the rubber stops anyways? If it's, say, 6 inches and you just lowered the rear 4 of them, you are left with 2 inches of travel.
In order to balance the front, you'll have to lower it as well, affecting some steering components. Think this option all the way through before going forward.

Wills6.4 Hemi

meadows

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/18 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ski Pro 3 wrote:

A four inch drop is going to have to reconfigure a lot more than just suspension. Brake lines, drive lines will need to be shortened. Shocks will need to be resized for the shorter suspension travel. How much space between the axle and the rubber stops anyways? If it's, say, 6 inches and you just lowered the rear 4 of them, you are left with 2 inches of travel.
In order to balance the front, you'll have to lower it as well, affecting some steering components. Think this option all the way through before going forward.
truck has 8-9 inches of travel. 4 inches will have no effects on the systems you mentioned. Squating my truck to bumper stops would take well over 6000 lbs. my pin weight is less than 2000 lbs and only squats the truck 1/2 inch. Thanks for the advise but the modification will have no effect on the other systems and In fact will level the truck. These new trucks are way to tall imho. Thanks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Got to lift the fiver
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS