Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: 3rd AC install
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 3rd AC install

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
greende

Syracuse,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/18 04:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good Job. The pedestals usually a have a 50 and 30 amp outlets.

2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

one_strange_texan

New Caney, TX (when not on the road)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 09:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ryanjb01 wrote:

Finally got it done. I ran an additional cord to the power pedestal, per the recommendations here. I ran power out to a 30A secondary receptacle to the exterior body of the trailer.

I now have 2 receptacles for power. My factory 50A, and a secondary 30A dedicated for the 3rd AC. If I am planning to use the 3rd AC, I simply run the secondary power cord.

Works like a charm, and looks factory.

Thanks for the advice here. I appreciate the guidance.

Ryan

We did a similar thing. We had a 3rd A/C installed to keep up with the hot summers down here in Texas. It is in the middle of the 5er where a MaxxFan was located. Apparently the openings for both the fans and Dometic A/C's are standard, 14-1/2" square, I believe. The installer was able to run the power and control wiring in the ceiling by using the MaxxFan's wire to pull it. He installed the thermostat for the new A/C in the wall with the MaxxFan's control alongside the thermostat for the existing 2 factory A/C's. We did not have it tied into the existing ductwork but set it to dump. It has its own 30 amp wiring that can be tied into the 30 amp supply at the power pole with a separate cord. We set the temperature a little above the existing A/C's and it kicks in when they cannot keep up. It has worked very well.

one_strange_texan
2015 Montana 3402RL
2015 Ram Diesel 3500 4WD single axle

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 3rd AC install
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS