Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Back up camera
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Back up camera

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
campinia

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/18 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just bought a new TT a few months ago at a show and the show deal included a Furrion camera that they normally sell for $350. The TT was prewired. I would have never thought about buying a back-up camera, but, I have used it quite a lot and really like it. I don't think I would spend $650 for it, but, I would probably spend $200 to $300 and install it myself, knowing now how much I use it, even with my wife guiding me in spots most of the time.

2017 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab LT 2500HD Z71 4X4 6.0 Gasser
2018 Keystone Passport Ultra Light 175BH
Champion 3100W Inverter Generator
2018 Pescador Pro 10 Fishing Kayak

Jimmygator

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/18 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just added a Furrion Vision 2 FOS48TA-BL to my TT, it came pre-wired with the mount pre-installed. I was either gonna add mirrors or get the camera. The camera won. The Furrion Vision 2 FOS48TAPK-BL is the full kit w/mount and wiring.

sgfrye

north carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/18 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

johntinacamping wrote:

Is it helpful to have one? Yes. Is $649 a ripoff? Yes again. I installed one on my travel trailer for $50. Take a look at this video for the install I did, but mine is permanently attached to the outside rear of the camper, at the crest of the roof: DIY Travel Trailer Rear View Camera

X2.

Way overpriced

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 07:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sgfrye wrote:

johntinacamping wrote:

Is it helpful to have one? Yes. Is $649 a ripoff? Yes again. I installed one on my travel trailer for $50. Take a look at this video for the install I did, but mine is permanently attached to the outside rear of the camper, at the crest of the roof: DIY Travel Trailer Rear View Camera

X2.

Way overpriced

X3 seems like a rip off to me.

lily123456

NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/18 01:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personnally speaking,their price is a little expensive.Actually you can buy a backup camera that is easy to install.You can save on the cost of the installation if you install by yourself.Haloview backup camera is easy to install.And the price is cheap and affordable.720P high resolution,4 IR LEDs enable night vision up to 32ft,wireless camera IP69K waterproof level,smart IR-CUT filter makes image more realistic.Maybe you can try it.

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/18 04:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

campinia wrote:

We just bought a new TT a few months ago at a show and the show deal included a Furrion camera that they normally sell for $350. The TT was prewired. I would have never thought about buying a back-up camera, but, I have used it quite a lot and really like it. I don't think I would spend $650 for it, but, I would probably spend $200 to $300 and install it myself, knowing now how much I use it, even with my wife guiding me in spots most of the time.

Good luck.....purchased the Furrion setup back in 2016 for our 17 Rockwood which had the bracket installed OEM. It worked great for two years. This season for some reason the lens deteriorated, now the once crystal clear video is fuzzy. No parts are availiable as the that particular model which was $350 on Amazon, the FOS 48, is discontinued despite still being sold. Furrions solution, after 2 weeks spent trying to contact them, was to buy their new system which goes for close to $500. Warranty expired, too bad, oh well. I just wanted to buy a replacement camera. I had thought I finally had found 1 thing associated with LCI that was decent..nope.

Furrion is a partner of Lippert and that should tell you all you need to know, and distributes junk. Interestingly the 17 Rockwood came with a 32" Furrion TV. It had the worst picture ever seen on an LCD TV and was instantly replaced with a Samsung and relegated to the basement rumpus room. Seldom used and died in two years....more junk.

JCR-1

Crystal River, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/18 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Waste of money.. Most have a wide angle view and everything is highly distorted. Perspectives will be off in reality.I have one and never use it ..waste of time.. I just use my side mirrors when driving and get out to see where I am backing.

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/18 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As for the backup camera. If it can be used full time yes.

I have a camera on the back of my trailer and after you have towed with one it is much like power steering and power brakes I would never have a car or truck without power steering or power brakes.

Glenda2014

Grove Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 01:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought one at Pep boys for about $150. The camera has a magnet on it so can go on truck or trailer bumper.....monitor plugs into cigarette lighter.....it's wireless. Works great!

2016 Creekside 20
Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RCMAN46 wrote:

As for the backup camera. If it can be used full time yes.

I have a camera on the back of my trailer and after you have towed with one it is much like power steering and power brakes I would never have a car or truck without power steering or power brakes.

do they even sell consumer vehicles without power steering and power brakes anymore?
bumpy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Back up camera
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS