Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Who has a Drone they take Camping?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Who has a Drone they take Camping?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Next
adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/18 07:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know drones are a bit of a two way street, some people love them and others hate them. Admittedly they can be noisy and a nuisance if flown in the wrong place. In many places they are often restricted from flying for various reasons. That being said, they are going to be part of our future in one form or another.

There are times when having a drone to take some pictures unobtainable the usual way is handy and quite fun. It can also be handy to do some basic scouting if say a particular stretch of off highway road looks troublesome and you aren't certain how far it stretches.

I have yet to take my own drone (Parrot Bebop 2) flying with me while camping but I anticipate I'll probably do it on my next trip. Does anyone else have a drone they take with them while camping and if so, what have you used it for and what precautions do you take to not upset others?

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

2oldman

south

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/18 07:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you just asking owners of truck campers?

azrving

Oatman

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/18 07:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 20 gauge.

adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/18 07:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Are you just asking owners of truck campers?

No, the question isn't specifically limited to just truck camper owners though I think we would be more likely to have one than other RV owners. Probably a baseless hunch but Truck Camper people tend to like tech and gadgets more so than others.

I might add that I wouldn't advocate flying a drone in a campground or near where other people are going to be bothered by it. There is plenty of wide open space where one can fly a drone and not impact others that I would like to focus this discussion on.

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/18 08:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

adamis wrote:

Probably a baseless hunch but Truck Camper people tend to like tech and gadgets more so than others.

Not "probably"... that is a baseless hunch. How you came to the conclusion that truck camper people tend to like tech more than others is beyond me.

Having said that, I don't own a drone, but would like to in the future. I think it'd be fun to fly it around uninhabited areas and get some great aerial photos...

Oh, and Im a TT guy, but yes, I like tech gadgets too.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/18 08:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your flying a drone I sure hope you know local rules. For instance Oregon state parks prohibit drones, or any flying aircraft within the camping areas of the park. Im sure other states will have similar rules.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/18 08:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donn0128 wrote:

For instance Oregon state parks prohibit drones, or any flying aircraft within the camping areas of the park. Im sure other states will have similar rules.

If they don't, I'm sure they will in the next few years.
Drones have their pros and cons, just like, golf carts, dirt bikes, generators, outside speakers & televisions, etc..

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/18 08:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I gifted DH with a drone so that he can use it when we go camping to do an aerial view of the area. We'll be in public lands. Haven't used it yet though.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

1995brave

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/18 08:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My anti-aircraft gun is ready [emoticon]

kerrlakeRoo

Va

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/18 08:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Virginia its rather tough to use one in any state park, they require a FAA license, a $1 Million liability policy, etc for use on any Department of Conservation and Resources lands which includes all state parks.
I'm sure other states are as restrictive, or soon will be.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Who has a Drone they take Camping?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.