Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Drinking water/filtration
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Drinking water/filtration

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
zcookiemonstar

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/18 08:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bottle water at home from our RO system for drinking and cooking. We use local water for everything else. We do the same at home.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/18 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

am1958 wrote:

I'm not far from Flint either and the fault was not with the water, end of conversation.

The fault was lazy buggers not thinking and taking a different water supply and not treating it properly so that the protective layer built up on the dangerous pipes,

re-read my post. I said that they failed to treat it.. Had they done so well. the water is still not all that good (though the Govermanure claims it is)... I will be going to Flint today.

But I'll have lunch in Burton.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

allen8106

Burrton. KS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/18 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We sanitize our fresh water tank and all plumbing lines once a year at the beginning of the season and drink straight from the tap, no filter required.

2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax
1983 DW (love of my life)
2010 Pit Bull Terrier (Jake)

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56

RayJayco

Tampa

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/18 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a point to ponder, the best water in the world is dependent upon the transport vessel (the pipes).
I had every spigot at my house tested, inside and out, along with my lake.

Fecal coliform is in all natural water as fish poop too. And just like babies, when animals eat or drink, they pee and poop... The problem is how much...
A friend worked at a lab that routinely tested bottled water. The results would surprise all of the bottled water drinkers...

Inquiring minds want to know...

harley-dave

ummm, where are we again..

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/18 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We also use a Camco inline filter and an under sink ADC filter for the ice maker and water for tea and coffee. Sometimes I will drink it and its not bad.

Dave

2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/18 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What never fails to amaze me is that the US, in general, has among the safest and best quality tap water in the world (isolated instances excepted, of course), yet we also drink more bottled water than any other country. The power of marketing is a strange thing indeed.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/18 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4van wrote:

What never fails to amaze me is that the US, in general, has among the safest and best quality tap water in the world (isolated instances excepted, of course), yet we also drink more bottled water than any other country. The power of marketing is a strange thing indeed.

safest yes. However, while our local water is very good for taste, There are lots of places in the U.S. where the water is safe to drink, but taste wise pretty awfull IMHO. So, when we visit places with not good tasting water we buy bottled water. Some places so loaded with Chlorine the smell is enough to make one plug your nose, other places iron and other minerals very heavy concentrations and not very good tasting IMHO.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/18 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

er78mph wrote:

Hello and thanks to all in advance!

I just got back from a long trip and noticed a ridiculous amount of empty 1 gallon bottles at the end. I have a filtration system at home but not sure if I want to make the investment with my aging trailer. I found this countertop filter on Amazon and was wondering if anyone is familiar with the product?The link is down below. I figured on installing this product for the short term.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V2JMUHY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_iuoABbD0D4834
I wouldn't buy that one. Most importantly, Apex doesn't not list the micron rating (or any other specs). It has an "alkaline" cartridge. Never hear of that before. Apex says it has NSF certified media and components. NSF doesn't certify media separately. A good quality filter will be NSF certified as a whole filter, not the media alone. They state "Hydrates your body while adding minerals that our body does not produce". A ridiculous claim IMO and have never seen that either in quality filters.

If it were me, I'd consider using a 10" whole house housing and then the cartridge of your choice, that way you will have a much better selection of filters (cartridges) to choose from. Doulton and Pentek for ex. have some excellent cartridges. You could also set up multi-stage cartridges for better performance and filtration. We have a Doulton ceramic cartridge (1 micron) followed by a Crystal Quest "ultrafiltration" cartridge (0.2 microns). I have 3 10" filters mounted under the kitchen counter at the rear.

I hate CAPTCHA. CAPTCHA sux. CAPTCHA is evil. CAPTCHA needs fixing.

Gil, Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH
2009 F250 super duty, V10, 8' bed, Hawkshead TPMS

RVchamp420

Lomita

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/18 01:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The countertop filter you are looking at has a media cartridge with layers of charcoal, kdf, calcite and mineral beads. The amount of media in each layer is too low to have sufficient contact time with water in order to adsorb chemical impurities, and correct taste and odor issues. I would rather buy a filter filled with only charcoal, from the same company.

An even better option would be to buy a reverse osmosis system. RO systems come in both countertop and under-sink configurations. They remove the most amount of contaminants compared with other filtration technologies, except distillation.
Here is a chart with percentages of contaminants removed from reverse osmosis.
https://www.wecofilters.com/blog/post/ro-nominal-rejection/

Since you're buying this for your RV, here are some popular undersink choices online that has electric pumps to boost pressure.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZZUBHE
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076FSQLMC
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXE2CQM

Countertop RO choices for RV
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XY8CHL2
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GDGTKRY

RVchamp420

Lomita

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/18 01:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

richy2 wrote:

I installed a Culligan under sink filter in my motorhome kitchen. Only the cold water gets filtered. It removes chlorine and other unpleasant taste in water. If we are not hooked up to city water, we use bottled water for drinking. Prefer not use holding tank water for drinking, filtered or not.

Good thinking. There is a good chance the holding tank water can allow bacteria growth. All the filters I've come across have warnings not to filter micro-biologically contaminated water for drinking.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Drinking water/filtration
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS