Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: DIRECT TV Dropping standard def channels
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> DIRECT TV Dropping standard def channels

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
Protector

Chagrin Falls, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/18 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry if this a repeated question, I had Direct TV out to my house today, I was hoping to upgrade my standard definition box in my RV to one that has an HDMI output and not a cable output, and found out "NO CAN DO" with my road trip antenna which is a standard def satellite antenna and it will not work with the new boxes that have HDMI output. Anyways he told me that Direct TV is dropping standard definition and my Wingard road trip dish will be obsolete after the 1st of the year? and will not work since everything is going to High Definition and in order watch Direct TV I will have to purchase an HD dish? Has anyone heard about this?
I really don't care about having HD all I am trying to do is get HDMI to my TV and install an HDMI switch to switch between the two TV's instead of using the three RCA output jacks which produces a crappy picture and you get interference.

Any information would greatly be appreciated!

2011 Ford F-350 Crew cab, short bed King Ranch 6.7 Diesel
2012 Voltage 3200 TH
2010 Polaris RZR LE

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/18 04:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old news.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/18 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This has been beat to death for almost two years now. Your only choice if you want to keep the tiny dome is switch to Dish. Of course you will still get HD

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
8 years OSP Camp Host
The Other Dallas

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/18 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AT&T gotta free up satellite bandwidth to resell to the NSA

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

2oldman

Salton Sea

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/18 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you don't care about HD you must have never seen it.

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/18 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No automated domes ever produced offer Directv in HD anyway, either change over to Dish Network where HD content can be received and utilized via hdmi by most automated domes or get a roof mounted winegard travler if you want Directv and hdmi.

We have switched back and forth several times between the two satellite tv services over the last couple of decades and find very little difference between the two, they both pretty much have the same channels and cost the same after promotional offers expire.

Lwiddis

Los Angeles :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/18 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It’s a sign of the times...da da la la...Petula Clark.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/18 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Protector wrote:

Sorry if this a repeated question, I had Direct TV out to my house today, I was hoping to upgrade my standard definition box in my RV to one that has an HDMI output and not a cable output, and found out "NO CAN DO" with my road trip antenna which is a standard def satellite antenna and it will not work with the new boxes that have HDMI output. Anyways he told me that Direct TV is dropping standard definition and my Wingard road trip dish will be obsolete after the 1st of the year? and will not work since everything is going to High Definition and in order watch Direct TV I will have to purchase an HD dish? Has anyone heard about this?
I really don't care about having HD all I am trying to do is get HDMI to my TV and install an HDMI switch to switch between the two TV's instead of using the three RCA output jacks which produces a crappy picture and you get interference.

Any information would greatly be appreciated!

First, some time in 2019 is the project date but no one really knows when. Also, while you still won't get HD, you can use an HD box with your dome and it will work just fine. You can use that for the next 6-12 months without issue and get just what you get now but you will gain an HDMI output. No one yet knows what will be broadcast on the 101 satellite (where the SD programming is) but if there is still a satellite there and it's broadcasting anything (now in HD) the domes will still be able to pick that up as well. So, that part of the equation is completely unknown.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/18 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had directv for years and years in the house and dish in the camper. We didn't pay for he with directv and it cost too much so we went with dish in the house and camper. Dish does not offer some channels that directv has, YES being one of them. I wonder why we pay $100 a month to watch adds and I think we'll go back to a radio and a book.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/18 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup. old news. We have been posting that same info for about a year now ever since AT&T bought DirecTV and announced their plans to go HD only.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> DIRECT TV Dropping standard def channels
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS