Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Things we learned while driving through Canada to Alaska
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Things we learned while driving through Canada to Alaska

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/18 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a newer iPhone, and AT&T coverage, which works in Canada, but has high roaming charges, we simply shut it off.
Use the internet to keep in touch with the kids. and Email is great.

Coverage is coverage, no towers you get no service. Da

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JK toad.

almcc

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/18 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom/Barb wrote:

We have a newer iPhone, and AT&T coverage, which works in Canada, but has high roaming charges, we simply shut it off.
Use the internet to keep in touch with the kids. and Email is great.

Coverage is coverage, no towers you get no service. Da

No roaming charges on my AT&T pay as you go plan while in Canada, used it for a month up here and used a bit of data.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/18 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AT&T has an international add-on plan for the cell phones. I used it in China last fall. $10 flat fee for 24 hours of use. You only pay if you use the phone within a given 24 hours and you pay only $10 no matter how many calls you make in that 24 hours.

So, I made a bunch of calls all on one day. Then made a bunch more a week later. $20 and I was able to talk to everyone I needed to talk to without worrying.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/18 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hedgehopper wrote:

• Canadian propane tanks are larger in diameter than US tanks. The Canadian ones would not fit in our camper. The strap to secure the tank is about a quarter of an inch too short. We had to get our tank refilled, not exchanged.

Exchanging a LP tank is one of the BIGGEST RIPOFF there is ! Exchange tanks only put 15 lbs in the tank !! They claim it is for "safety", but those tanks are design, tested and certified to hold 20 lbs.

The only time I would ever exchange a tank was if it was expired.

pyoung47

MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/18 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have ATT unlimited plus, which includes free calls to and from Canada and Mexico as well as unlimited data. It worked surprisingly well in both Canada and Alaska. And, later in the fall, it worked very well in Mexico. We carried some cash, but it was rare that we couldn't use a credit card. The easiest place to get cash is at a Wal-Mart, since you don't have to pay an ATM fee for the cash.

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/18 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only problem we had with our cell phones in Canada was dealing with Bell, it's system would simply not recognizes some USA phone numbers, like my credit union. We have Verizon service.

If your debt card has a MasterCard logo on it you'll be charged a 1% surcharge when using it outside the USA, it will show up as a international trans-action fee, MasterCard didn't do this in 2015 when we traveled through Canada but did this past summer, 2018.

My Costco Card wouldn't work at any Costco in Canada but worked fine at any USA Costco stores, a mystery at hand.

We were never asked about fruits or vegetables coming or going, just money, guns, pepper spray stuff like that.

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman210000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

almcc

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/18 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting that Costco in the US is allied with Visa and here in Canada with MasterCard. Makes it tough if you have only one US dollar credit card for us travel, pay more if you use your Canadian dollar Visa card.

FordDiesel250

I.P. Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/18 02:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does this include Debit cards too?

wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/18 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never had a problem with using a Canadian debit card at US Costco’s. It’s interesting that the credit card chip and pin systems aren’t compatible. Canada went chip and pin in 2007.

"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Z-Peller

Oceanside BC

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/18 10:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Canadian propane tanks are larger in diameter than US tanks. The Canadian ones would not fit in our camper. The strap to secure the tank is about a quarter of an inch too short. We had to get our tank refilled, not exchanged.

Not sure what to make of that??...I have bought portable 20lb tanks ( 5 gal ) in both Canada, and US over the years and put them in a 12" x12" plastic milk crate to carry in my truck box. They all fit the crate exactly the same for me..same with 30lb tanks ( 7 gal ) ....11lb tanks ( 2.5 gal ) can be different shapes. Tall as a 20 lb tank but smaller diameter, or same diameter as a 20 lb tank but not as tall.

Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Things we learned while driving through Canada to Alaska
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS