Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Costco vs Sam's Club
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Costco vs Sam's Club

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
K_and_I

North Central Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/18 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The DW and I are planning a trip to Alaska next summer. We are members of Sam's Club as they are the only wholesale club in our area. As I read trip reports from others on an Alaska journey, I can't help but notice that more people report shopping at Costco than Sam's. Is this because of availability of Sam's in the area? We could join Costco for the year if there is any real benefit to doing so. I've never been in a Costco, so I just don't have anything to judge this on. What say ye (or y'all)?

K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2016: 33
Do we have time for shortcuts?

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/18 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Other than possibly gasoline you likely would not find much to buy there. They typically sell in bulk not one off.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
8 years OSP Camp Host
The Other Dallas

newman fulltimer

louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/18 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fyi sams closed in anchrodge

chindog

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/18 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Costco is very much like Sam's Club. You don't have to buy TV's or bottles of wine in six packs.

2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Honda CRV toad

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/18 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you'll be transiting Canada, there aren't any Sam's Club stores up here, that I know of, any more. Started shutting them down in 2009.
Maybe that's why Costco gets more mentions?
Unless you meant specifically when you reach Alaska.
Costco is true cross border shopping, one membership works in Canada and the USA.

* This post was edited 09/09/18 06:11pm by MDKMDK *

Mike.
2018 Navion 24V "Goldilocks" 2016 JKU "Red" (sold @ ???)
2016 Sunstar 26HE (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/18 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you are traveling....and since you probably won't need the large quantities that are what Costco is all about....I'd skip it...

Unless you need items like 5 gallons of pickled artichoke hearts on you trip to Alaska...

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

K_and_I

North Central Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/18 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MDKMDK wrote:

Since you'll be transiting Canada, there aren't any Sam's Club stores up here, that I know of, any more. Started shutting them down in 2009.
Costco is true cross border shopping, one membership works in Canada and the USA.

Thanks, that is a question I forgot to ask. We do plan to spend some time in Canada, so this would have some value.

K_and_I

North Central Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/18 06:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

downtheroad wrote:

Since you are traveling....and since you probably won't need the large quantities that are what Costco is all about....I'd skip it...

Unless you need items like 5 gallons of pickled artichoke hearts on you trip to Alaska...

You don't buy pickled artichoke hearts by the 5 gallon bucket? [emoticon]
We do use Sam's quite a bit here, so I assume we would use it or Costco about as much while traveling.

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/18 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K_and_I wrote:

MDKMDK wrote:

Thanks, that is a question I forgot to ask. We do plan to spend some time in Canada, so this would have some value.

I have a US Sam's Club membership, but not Costco. Tried Costco about 7 years ago, and didn't find the pricing on their bulk products to be significantly better than buying things in smaller quantities, so we let our membership lapse. Besides, we don't eat that many pickles, and they're too heavy to lift into the car in cases of 100.
Our Sam's Club does let us buy stuff we can't get in Canada, so we keep renewing.

Trackrig

Spent the summer in Conconuly, Wa, MH now in Vanco

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/18 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

newman fulltimer wrote:

Fyi sams closed in anchrodge

Sam's closed in both Anchorage and Fairbanks. In Fbks Costco has bought the Sam's store and is remodeling it now. They're trying to get it open before Christmas, but who knows. It will certainly be open by next summer.

We belong to both. Almost every Sam's club has diesel whereas with Costco it's few and far in between.

Personally with a DP and toad, we'll continue to belong to both even if there isn't a Sam's in Alaska anymore. We find that Stateside Sam's has a lot more parking space - try to get a 40' DP into Costco's parking. We even find it hard to find a parking place for the Jeep at Costco. Sam's fueling areas have a lot more room also. I might have had to get creative a time or two, but I haven't found a Sam's I fill up with diesel at.

AND, most places, Sam's is right next door to Walmart. Even if you don't want the larger quantities at Sam's, the DW usually walks over to Walmart while I'm filling the DP and then I drive over and we load up the groceries.

Overall, I think Costco has better products but Sam's has a lot more parking space and more diesel fuel.

Bill

Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Costco vs Sam's Club
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS