Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Costco vs Sam's Club
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Costco vs Sam's Club

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Ductape

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/18 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CostCo by far in CA. For payments; cash, debit, or MasterCard. Whereas in the States it's Visa. Parking is usually crowded. We go pretty regularly, but with the toad, rarely the MH.

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/18 12:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In a RV one trip to Costco for the summer would be plenty! [emoticon] Or... check out Sam's store locations along your route and stock up fully on the last store you can use. I can't believe you'd be buying fresh foods in such large quantities. Fred Meyers stores have very good prices and Canada has a good chain... can't recall the name.

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

jerseyjim

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/18 03:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWIW, a Sams Club membership card doubles as a charge card. It is also good at Wal Mart. (same company)

K_and_I

North Central Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/18 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe I need to rethink it. Does Costco have enough of a gas discount (I have a F250 gasser TV) to worry about? As someone stated, we could stock up enough at the last Sam's to carry us through. I am tempted to try the Costco for one year just to see if I'm missing anything. The nearest Costco to us is an hour away, but we do drive by there once a month or so.

K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2016: 33
Do we have time for shortcuts?

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/18 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2gypsies wrote:

In a RV one trip to Costco for the summer would be plenty! [emoticon] Or... check out Sam's store locations along your route and stock up fully on the last store you can use. I can't believe you'd be buying fresh foods in such large quantities. Fred Meyers stores have very good prices and Canada has a good chain... can't recall the name.

These are the discount grocery stores from each chain. Food Basics (Metro chain), No Frills (Loblaws chain), and Freshco (Sobeys chain).
There may be other local stores that advertise/offer lower pricing.
Walmart's grocery section does it all for us, Canada or US.

Mike.
2018 Navion 24V "Goldilocks" 2016 JKU "Red" (sold @ ???)
2016 Sunstar 26HE (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/18 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K_and_I wrote:

Maybe I need to rethink it. Does Costco have enough of a gas discount (I have a F250 gasser TV) to worry about? As someone stated, we could stock up enough at the last Sam's to carry us through. I am tempted to try the Costco for one year just to see if I'm missing anything. The nearest Costco to us is an hour away, but we do drive by there once a month or so.

I never see Costco gas in my Gas Buddy app near the top of the list, but there aren't many near us. What does yours show for Costco?

rirish1

Alachua, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/18 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just returned from Alaska. To the best of my knowledge, most of the sams clubs in the pacific northwest and Alaska have closed. I was going to have my prescriptions filled by Sams club. Luckily they were able to transfer them to Walmart.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/18 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K_and_I wrote:

Maybe I need to rethink it. Does Costco have enough of a gas discount (I have a F250 gasser TV) to worry about?

In my area, YES ! Regularly 4¢ cheaper, but I have seen it 15¢ less than other stations !

They are always near the top of Gas Buddy's lowest priced fuel, although none seem to have diesel.

I have both Sams and Costco memberships. While both tend to be in "high population density" ares, Sams does have one stored in Traverse City, MI (high summer volume but pretty low the rest of the year).

pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/18 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Costco has a very weird policy on fuel. In US, they accept Visa, not Master Card. In Canada, no Visa, only Master Card. Duhhh??? Discover OK at both and NO cash

Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/18 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In our area Costco gasoline and diesel is priced at $0.05 per gallon cheaper than cheapest local area gas station. They have a list of stations that are checked every morning and prices adjusted.

As for value and quantities, I don't see much difference between Sam's Club and Costco, especially in our area. There are three Costco Stores within 10 miles of our home, there is one Sam's Club about 15 miles from our home. Two of the Costco Stores have gasoline, the Sam's Club doesn't.

The Sam's Club had a really good deal on tires for the DW's Explorer, Sam's didn't take credit cards for tires or batteries, Costco took AE. Now I think Sam's takes MC, cash or debit. I don't used the debit card because once I forgot to tell the DW I did and it applies only to her account.

Costco and Sam's tend to sell the same items but made by different manufacturers, some things like beer and spirits overlap, Wine not so much. Sam's tends to carry stuff more prevalent in the mid-west and east, Costco tends to carry stuff from the West.

When we did our 2011, 13k miles trip east, we asked for a list of stores from Sam's. We were told that it was on line. Costco has a brochure with all the stores and what features each has. Costco's list is published twice a year.

Without a guide to the stores, it was harder to find Sam's Club store and even harder to find the ones with gasoline, not listed on line at that time. We do have a couple of regular stops where we purchase Walmart gasoline, and there isn't a Costco close by.

I haven't been to too many Sam's Clubs so I can't comment on parking lots but the one near us is a total pain and my DD is a Suzi. It is worse than the worse Trader Joes Market and their lots are always a topic of conversation when talking about grocery shopping.

I pay for my brothers Costco membership, he pays for my Sam's Club membership, he buys more gas from Sam's Club because it is closer but he lives in a very rural area and I in the big city

So all in all, I prefer Costco even when fueling the Winnie and the towed.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
95 Suzuki Sidekick 4X4
Stowmaster 5000

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Costco vs Sam's Club
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS