Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Costco vs Sam's Club
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Costco vs Sam's Club

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/18 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K_and_I wrote:

Maybe I need to rethink it. Does Costco have enough of a gas discount (I have a F250 gasser TV) to worry about? As someone stated, we could stock up enough at the last Sam's to carry us through. I am tempted to try the Costco for one year just to see if I'm missing anything. The nearest Costco to us is an hour away, but we do drive by there once a month or so.

Don’t see the fuel discount advantage being of much/any use.
You’re stopping every 200 mi tops with a gasser towing.....through largely rural or wilderness areas. I don’t recall many, lol, roadside Costco’s on the way to AK.

It’s like $60 a year and either you use Costco or you don’t. Not really a trip planning consideration IMO.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/18 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

K_and_I wrote:

Maybe I need to rethink it. Does Costco have enough of a gas discount (I have a F250 gasser TV) to worry about?

In my area, YES ! Regularly 4¢ cheaper, but I have seen it 15¢ less than other stations !

They are always near the top of Gas Buddy's lowest priced fuel, although none seem to have diesel.

I have both Sams and Costco memberships. While both tend to be in "high population density" ares, Sams does have one stored in Traverse City, MI (high summer volume but pretty low the rest of the year).

We use the Sam's Club in Port Huron for gas and the Murphy USA in Fort Gratiot for diesel and gas. Both are usually among the cheapest.
Sam's in Traverse City probably dodged the recent axe because it may be the only Sam's Club north of the i-69 and Tri City area in the mitt?

Mike.
2018 Navion 24V "Goldilocks" 2016 JKU "Red" (sold @ ???)
2016 Sunstar 26HE (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/18 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't speak to anywhere else, but, as previously noted, Sams is closed in Los Anchorage. There are still Walmarts in the area.

We use Costco for our bulk shopping; if needed, we can find the occasional "stuff" for one meal (for 2 of us), but not everything is sold in smaller than bulk lots.

We don't use Costco for gas, preferring to use a local chain with rewards program.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

K_and_I

North Central Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/18 07:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all of the responses. A Costco membership is probably not warranted just for the trip (as mentioned), but I was thinking this may be a good excuse to try them out. I've got 9 months to think about it [emoticon]

K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2016: 33
Do we have time for shortcuts?

Tee Jay

The Peninsula, Kenai & Olympic

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/18 09:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Three Bears has stores in many Alaska road accessible towns, and carry a lot of Costco items, with a mark-up.

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/18 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K_and_I wrote:

The DW and I are planning a trip to Alaska next summer. We are members of Sam's Club as they are the only wholesale club in our area. As I read trip reports from others on an Alaska journey, I can't help but notice that more people report shopping at Costco than Sam's. Is this because of availability of Sam's in the area? We could join Costco for the year if there is any real benefit to doing so. I've never been in a Costco, so I just don't have anything to judge this on. What say ye (or y'all)?

Costco in Anchorage,AK and Grande Prairie, Canada sell diesel.

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman210000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Costco vs Sam's Club
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS