Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Advisability of late summer Alaska drive up
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Advisability of late summer Alaska drive up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Charlie Bravo

Holland, Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/18 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello, we’re retiring next year and planning on Alaska for our sixth time in our fifth wheel.We’ve flown a small aircraft up twice, once on a motorcycle, and twice with a slide in truck camper. All the trips have been in June and a little of July.
This time we’d be Leaving Michigan the first of August, Alaska about the 10th and headed back about September 10.
The hope is for less crowds at the usual attractions, more wildlife, and maybe some northern lights.
Comments of later season weather, campground availability, and whatever else would be appreciated.

rag-ftw

fort worth

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/18 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can only speak for 2016 and 2018. We did Taylor/Top of the World in 2016 the second week in September and the road was frozen but no snow. So it was perfect travelling. Spent one night on the side of the road on Top of the Road in the snow but bynon the next day everything was great.

This year we are still in Valdez and the temp is currently 63 at 6:00pm! So far so good.
IT's a roll of the dice this late in the season for snow. I don't think you have to worry about getting snowed out and having the spend the winter in the Canadian Rockies, BUT, be prepared to wait two or three days for a storm to blow through and the roads to clear.

Probably not much help but that is what we have experienced, anyway.

Many campgrounds close after Labor Day but there is usually spots available in the places that are still open. Parks here in Valdez are running about 25% currently.

2004 Travel Supreme 38DS04
2009 Ranger 4X4 Towed
Ready Brake, Tire Minder

mockturtle

AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/18 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It tends to be rainier later in the summer.

2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/18 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was there in 2016 late August to about September 10 and the weather was perfect. Mix of sun and rain but no freezing temps.
As for crowds we thought it was pretty busy at most attractions that weren't closed down. Camping was wide open about everywhere. No problems.

Mike.
2018 Navion 24V "Goldilocks" 2016 JKU "Red" (sold @ ???)
2016 Sunstar 26HE (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

rag-ftw

fort worth

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/18 08:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mockturtle wrote:

It tends to be rainier later in the summer.

I agree that is the normal trend but this past 10 days has been "Chamber of Commerce" weather days. Bright sunshine, no clouds, light winds, with temps in the upper 60s! Other that the week of July 4th this has been the best weather all summer for us.

Scottiemom

South Dakota/Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/18 04:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we went in 2013, we left in May and went up returning the first of August. We did not experience big crowds anywhere. We were told numerous times that we were about 2 weeks ahead of the caravans.

We had a great time and the potential for bad weather, i.e., snow, was not likely since summer was approaching.

Dale

Dale Pace
Wife to Terry (Teacher's Pet)
Mom to Scottish Terrier, Duchess
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40'(Phaeton Place)
2014 Ford Flex
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltiming since 2005

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

lucy6194

Cape cod MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/18 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went two years ago 3rd time. Rain everything closed would never go that late again.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/18 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Late summer (fall weather for the rest of us, haha) is a great time of year up there.
You’re from Michigan so what’s a little snow here or there? Cold hasn’t set in yet and really not much/ any snow except in the interior and north.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/18 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This year, the past week has been spectacular around Southcentral Alaska.

Over the past 20 years, September can be crappy or it can be beautiful....IMNSHO, it hits one or the other of those extremes.

Late August - mid-September sees a significant reduction in bugs and tourists although not entirely void of either. The tourist facilities start closing by late August and are almost entirely shutdown by mid-September, but stuff can be found through the 1st week or so of September.

IMNSHO, Fall is the most spectacular time in Alaska: What constitutes "Fall" varies by location, but would be "September" around Los Anchorage to Squarebanks. My particular favorite time of year is mid-September to mid-October...but that's for hunting/flying/fishing. For a RV trip, I'd think 10-August to 10-September would be great, although one would need to focus on sightseeing (on your own) rather than "catered" activities.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

cross21114

Baltimore, MD, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/18 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In 2005, I took my TC up arriving in August. Stayed until the 1st week of October fishing and bird hunting mostly ptarmigin and grouse but also some ducks. Outbound took the Top of World and made it the day before it was closed for the season. No problems with weather.

My wife and I are planning a similar trip in 2019. Want to spend September hunting birds while I can still do it. Will probably go up using the Top of World and return via Alaska Hwy though.

Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Advisability of late summer Alaska drive up
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS