Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Friction Sway Bar
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

Senior Member

Joined: 12/31/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/09/21 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, that seems pretty complicated - I just use a couple cotter pins.

NamMedevac 70

Reno

Senior Member

Joined: 11/09/2020

View Profile



Posted: 10/09/21 10:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

old guy wrote:

I have a 35 ft trailer and I use an equalizer 4 point hitch with it and have no sway problem at all. have towed all over the place in all kinds of weather too. I had the sway bar type but the 4 point is far Superior


I have also had the same excellent Equalizer WDH on my 28 foot TT for many years and hard towing in the rockies and western mountains without any sway or jerking or any other problems. Easy to set up and use. Two sway bars are better than one I would think.

aftermath

Washington State

Senior Member

Joined: 09/18/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/11/21 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I got started in all this weight distributing/anti sway hitch choice thing I was focused on....simplicity. Way back, many of the snap up the chain hitches did not allow you to back up with the chains attached. I also didn't "like" the idea of snapping these chains into position and I really was confused about the friction bars being used. I got all sorts of nebulous information. Only tighten them as much as you need was one of my favorites. What? How do I know what I am going to need?
I went with the Equalizer. It is easy to adjust and once you have it dialed in, it is a quick hook up. I personally believe that add on friction bars can offer up enough safety and many still use them. When reading threads like this one I am still a bit confused. Should I use one or two? I have been using these for "x" amount of years and they remove 90% of the sway. Well, what about the other 10%?
I like mine. I have over 55K miles on my current without any issues of sway. I will stick with the Equalizer.


2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 04/08/2002

View Profile



Posted: 10/11/21 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

aftermath wrote:


When reading threads like this one I am still a bit confused. Should I use one or two?
This one is easy. Read the directions That come with it. They all state what the limitations of a single control are. There is very little difference in the recomendations between brands.

BTW, I have owned 3 different sized EQUALIZERS over the years, and also a single, and a double friction bar setup. The all performed well.

I still think that the friction bars are the best choice for newbies.
Simply because most newbies will not get the setup right, which is very important with the integreated SC hitches.... But one can miss the setup by a mile with the friction bars, and still get some benefit from it.



Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1380watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountryC CD/A 4X4 DRW



Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.