Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Hardwood Floor Cleaner
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Hardwood Floor Cleaner

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/18 05:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have hardwood floors in the new house. Right now we are using Bona with their special mop but it doesn't seem to work that well. Floors have 4 coats of poly if that matters. Suggestions on something else to try?

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/18 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I've lived in places with wood floors, about all that gets used is a vacuum cleaner (a canister one with a floor, as opposed to rug/carpet, brush attached), a broom and dustpan, and infrequently a sponge or string mop with some general purpose cleaner like spic-n-span.

patperry2766

Saginaw Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/18 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

We have hardwood floors in the new house. Right now we are using Bona with their special mop but it doesn't seem to work that well. Floors have 4 coats of poly if that matters. Suggestions on something else to try?

Does it seem to leave a haze?

I've had 2 different floors that we've used Bona on. On the floor with the shiny poly, it would leave a haze so I'd have to go back with a terrycloth rag and go back over the floor again before it was completely dry.

We put in new floors with less of a shine, and it's not near as noticeable.

Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/18 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have hardwood floors in our whole house. We just use a regular hardwood floor cleaner, no special mop or anything. But the fact is, we hardly ever clean the whole floor (I can tell you we haven't used that type of cleaner in over 2 years - maybe even 5 years). A quick run over it with the vacuum cleaner is all we ever do. I can not recall the last time we ever used a wet mop and cleaner and did the whole floor - any of them. Sometimes at most we will spot clean a spot with plain old water on a damp rag or Mop and Glo.

Pawz4me

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/18 04:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use warm water and just a tiny bit of Mr. Clean (or sometimes just a drop of Dawn) along with this O'Cedar spin mop and bucket. I like that mop system because it's very easy to spin out the water very well so that you're not over wetting the floor. I tried Bona and found that it cleaned about as well as plain water.

Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

doxiemom11

Paris Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/18 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had hardwood floor in the entire house and a friend who installs hardwood told me to use a mild solution of white vinegar and water and just damp mop it -- not standing water or heavy water usage. I always did ours with a damp sponge mop and a few times a year with a damp rag to get into the corners good. After 17 years when we sold the house, the floors were still in beautiful condition.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/18 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does it seem to leave a haze?

A little but more so it just doesn't seem to take the dirt off. Right now we have no lawn and we've had a lot of rain so we have 6 people feet and 8 dirty dog feet tracking stuff into the house. We used the Bona for laminates at our old house and weren't all that impressed either. I know it will get better when we have grass but right now it's a problem. What makes it worse is we have lots of 60" windows in the house (22 total to be exact) that let in huge amounts of light, which shows everything! I'll try some of the suggestions and see how they all work out. Thanks!

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/18 08:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you get in the habit of removing your shoes when entering the house, assuming you aren't doing that already, you'll cut down on the amount of dirt tracked in immensely.

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/18 05:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No help with floor cleaner....but you mentioned 8 paws. We have 1 fur child...we blame the dirt/dust on him. If anyone mentions dust,other half hands them a duster or broom.
Hardwood floors will never be dust free with pets.

2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

SARGUY

North America

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/18 10:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have hardwood floors and the best thing we have ever used and we tried alot of others is Murphys Oil Soap.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Hardwood Floor Cleaner
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.