Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Searching a little SUV for towing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Vehicles

> Searching a little SUV for towing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
schubi

Front Royal Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/18 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi ,

I am Stefan from Germany and I need a little help from you. We are buying tomorrow a A Class and searching for a car to towing after the RV.
We want a little SUV like Suzuki Sidekick, RAV 4 or something else. It can be older, price max 8000 $ . Can you help me whitch car is the best and possible to tow?
We are in the north from Seattle for 1-2 weeks.

Thanks Stefan

Lwiddis

Cambria, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/18 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can’t help you on a good toad. I CAN welcome you to touring our country and hope we meet on the road!

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/18 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stefan,

before you buy anything to tow be sure you know and understand the various actual loaded weights and weight ratings of your motorhome and suv.

the amount of weight you can safely tow will be the lesser of the following:

- the gross combination weight rating of the MH minus the actual weight (based on the actual loaded weight on each axke) of the MH as it is loaded and configured for travel

- the weight rating of your hitch

- the weight rating of your tow bar

good luck.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Every retired man needs three things....a good truck, a good dog and a working wife

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Hank85713

Tucson, Az

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/18 08:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

why are you buying? A 2 week stay, you can rent for less unless going to take it back to germany! This past summer met with some german folks who rented a Cruise America Class C, said it was expensive but a lot less than buying. Buy a toad and hope it is set up to be towed is another issue. Just getting one set up can run run close to $2500 not counting the vehicle and again will depend on whether or not you can get a shop to do it in a timely manner for you?
there are some websites that handle used towing stuff here is 1:

http://www.rvnetwork.com/forum/37-rv-accessories-for-sale/

maybe they can help you look for something to be towed that is already set up. I know a guy who just bought an 04 honda crv all setup and it cost him $8000 or so. SO you will need to do your homework on this. Look at some of the rv sales websites they may have leads but again it will depend on where they are IE texas, florida etc.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/18 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schubi wrote:

Hi ,

I am Stefan from Germany and I need a little help from you. We are buying tomorrow a A Class and searching for a car to towing after the RV.
We want a little SUV like Suzuki Sidekick, RAV 4 or something else. It can be older, price max 8000 $ . Can you help me whitch car is the best and possible to tow?
We are in the north from Seattle for 1-2 weeks.

Thanks Stefan

Go for a Sidekick that you can just throw away once your done with it, lol.

But it you got the off-road upgrades, you won't have problem getting an interested buyer when you're going back to Germany.

schubi

Front Royal Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/18 09:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for your answers. We want to stay for a longer time in North America so we buy tomorrow an Allegro. What is with Jeep Liberty , Kia Soul( I know not a suv but 4 Wheel drive)

Suzuki Sidekick is hard to find...

schubi

Front Royal Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/18 09:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And what is with a tow dolly? Is that an option? Do i need a license plate for this?

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/18 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schubi wrote:

Thanks for your answers. We want to stay for a longer time in North America so we buy tomorrow an Allegro. What is with Jeep Liberty , Kia Soul( I know not a suv but 4 Wheel drive)

Go find a nicer old Jeep. Just have a fully covered one with heater with the coming winter. It might not be as reliable but repair shops and parts for Jeep is everywhere in the continental US.

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/18 09:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schubi wrote:

we flat tow a 2010 jeep liberty, roughly 4400-lbs (4378). no key in ignition required. just make sure that the transfer case has a manually selectable neutral position. if not the vehicle cannot be flat towed.

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/18 09:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schubi wrote:

And what is with a tow dolly? Is that an option? Do i need a license plate for this?

some states yes, some no. all states honor the rules in whichever state the dolly is registered. if you go with a dolly you must add the weight of the dolly to the weight of the vehicle when computing the maximum safe weight you can tow. fyi...some vehicles that can be flat towed might not be dolly towed.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Vehicles

> Searching a little SUV for towing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS