Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Searching a little SUV for towing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Vehicles

> Searching a little SUV for towing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
3 dog nights

Central, Virginia USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/18 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

But also has one of the highest resales, you might want to do a bit more research.
Best of luck, which ever way you go.
Safe Travels!!

Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ozzy & Dobby

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

now-2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

schubi

Front Royal Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/18 09:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have seen some Wrangler in the range 7000-9000$ . 120-140 k mls. Good runners or troublemakers? Most of them are modified, what I dont want to have. . 4 or 6 Zylinder?

Thanks

accsys

Green Cove Springs, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/18 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schubi wrote:

Thanks for your help.

The list in the motorhome magazine I have found.

How is the Quality of a Jeep Liberty 2006-7? I love the Sidekicks and Samurai. But I find nothing in Autotrader, carsforsale etc. Has somebody a another website?
Are there any websites where people sales cars ready for towing. It s easier for me.

We purchased our 2004 Libby in 2006 and have towed it extensively throughout the USA and Canada. We have put a little over 100,000 miles on the odometer (in addition to the 18,000 on it when we purchased it) and towed it for another 80,000+ miles. We love it and are sorely disappointed they are no longer made. The only thing we have done to it is replace the ball joints and tie-rod ends this summer. The A/C compressor was replaced two or three years ago - otherwise, she has just had normal preventive maintenance done to her. Oh, and I am very hard on vehicles the way I drive - fast acceleration, hard braking, fast entry into and out of curves, etc., especially in mountain driving like we have hid this summer and last.

John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2007 Tiffin Phaeton QDH 40 w/Cat 7 350
2004 Liberty Renegade 4x4 Toad
Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar
Air Force One toad braking system
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Islandman

NW Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/18 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd go with a used Jeep Wrangler, say a TJ model which were manufactured from about 1997 to 2006, so it shouldn't be too expensive. Look into the Craigslist listings in the general area where you want to buy and make it known that you want one that is already equipped for towing. I'd definitely stay away from a tow dolly (license requirements, extra weight for the motorhome to pull, hassle on getting dinghy off and on, storage in the campground, and possible problems when you want to sell it). We purchased a used Jeep Wrangler a couple years ago that was already equipped for towing and have been well satisfied with it. There are several other sources to look for used vehicles, but I'm not that familiar with them. Good Luck!

schubi

Front Royal Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/18 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, here in the Area Bend Oregon is no Wrangler to find. I hope it will be better in Sacramento

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/18 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think Stefan have found and bought the vehicle he wants.

But for info, 2008 in Sacramento is $17 to $18K.

Samurai is about $7K.

One consideration for the purchase is that a used Wrangler can be bought from you for a reasonable price once you are ready to go back home. A Samurai may take sometime to sell and you might even end up writing off the entire purchase cost if there is no buyer. And again, the condition and the headaches it might cause you.

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/18 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/2000-jeep-wrangler-sport-toad/6681664484.html

Ready to go, tow bar and brakes included.

New addition! 2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

old setup:
1998 Ford E350 extended van, V10, 3.73
1998 Fleetwood Terry 22lw

Islandman

NW Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/18 08:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camnperdave- that's pretty high mileage on the 2000 Jeep, but shouldn't be a problem for the short term that schubi will probably be using it. Looked good in the pictures of the ad and the owner can help him get used to the arrangements and hookups for towing.

Rolin

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/18 10:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just purchased a 2002 Chevy Tracker 2dr 4wd. They are nearly identical to the Suzuki Sidekick..just the name is different. There appear to be more of the Trackers than the Sidekicks.

Check your local craigslist (rv/camp section). That is where we found ours.

You have to get the 4 wheel drive. Can't tow the two wheel drive one.

We are just getting ours set up to tow. We also found a tow bar and brake unit on Craigslist. Saved about 50% over new.

Like the fact that you can remove the top. Recommend getting one with the removable hardtop and air conditioning. Nice to have some creature comforts.

Ours only weights 2800 lbs.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Vehicles

> Searching a little SUV for towing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS