Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Unfortunate report on new Ram
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Unfortunate report on new Ram

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Next
Sponsored By:
bsbeedub

Gateway to the West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/18 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From an earlier thread we ordered and got our brand new Ram 3500 6.4 on August 23. We were in the process of putting 500 miles on her so we could change the rear differential fluid to take her on our first trip. On September 5 she started idling very rough and the check engine light came on. My code reader indicated a misfire on cylinder 7. We took her in to have them look at it and perform whatever warranty work was necessary.
After having her for about 3 or 4 days they decided it was bad gas since the plugs in cylinder 7 were completely fouled so it is not a warranty item. Perfectly understandable. They emptied the 30 gallons that I just bought and cleaned out the tank. They said the gas looked terrible. It was purchased from Quik Trip so we got the form to fill out since their gas is guaranteed hoping for reimbursement. It still kept misfiring with their “known good gas.” Emptied the tank and cleaned the fuel rails two more times. Still misfiring. I’m on the hook for about $700 now. After having the truck for two weeks and looking again at new “known good gas” gas from a new container they concluded it was not the gas.
They now say it is an engine issue so it’s back to warranty work and no charge to me. Their first thought was that it might be the camshaft with a bad #7 lobe. They pulled the cam out and all specs were good. They then looked at the cylinder head and valves. One of the valves had a nick in it and was slightly bent. They feel this is the issue. The team leader wants an entirely new cylinder head (and so do I but I would really prefer a whole new engine!) and not just new parts to rebuild it. I should hear back today to see what FCA’s answer will be.
I had to cancel our first trip with her. We should have left this morning. They’ve had her longer than we have and we’re about to go pay sales tax on a truck we don’t have. This is so disappointing.

Bob & Susan
Shelby the Beagle June 8, 2005 - Dec. 24, 2016
2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi
2011 Gulf Stream Ameri-Lite 23BW
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 - retired

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/18 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tell the dealer you want the same truck only with a Cummins. You wont regret the decision.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
8 years OSP Camp Host
The Other Dallas

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/18 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How weird. Sounds like your dealer is just taking WAGs at the problem, rather than following established diagnostics tress. No way would bad gas foul only one cylinder (but low compression in that cylinder certainly will!).

If that valve was bent, it may have contacted the piston (loose valve keeper can allow this). I would push hard for a replacement motor, but using the tactic you want the piston replaced as well. Labor to replace a piston is more than swapping motors, so they might spring for it at that point. If the nick and the bent valve were actually caused by foreign debris (also likely) than that's even more reason to replace the affected cylinder. Even slight imperfections in the piston surface can cause hot-spots that can later lead to piston melt-down.

Keep track of your days without the truck, and check your state's lemon law requirements. You may be due a new truck if they can't get back on the road soon! 2-weeks is a long time for initial diagnostics, especially diagnostics may not even be complete yet.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

HTElectrical

Las Vegas

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/18 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So who is going to foot the bill for all of the gas wasted that was not bad????

2007 Duramax, Cognito 7"-9" Lift,

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/18 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gosh, who needs this kind of grief. Getting a new truck is suppose to be fun.

I agree with carringb above. Whoever is working on this truck needs to go back to auto shop in high school. One cylinder fouled and their assessment is, "bad gas." Good grief!

Less than 500 miles on it and they want to throw parts at it in the block and below....I'd be screaming for a new engine.

good luck with it.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

ib516

Way up north eh

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/18 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's unfortunate. Keep us posted.

Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
All above are sold
Current: 07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z

Fordlover

Spring, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/18 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What a bummer, the first few thousand miles are supposed to be a fun experience. Really sucks having to cancel a trip due to vehicle problems, especially brand new vehicle problem$.
I'm sure in the end they will get you fixed up and hopefully this will be the last hiccup in your giddyup.

2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/18 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HTElectrical wrote:

So who is going to foot the bill for all of the gas wasted that was not bad????

I hope FCA steps up and reimburses him for all the out of pocket expenses from their miss diagnosis.

Not that it cannot happen but never heard of a modern engine fouling one plug from marginal gas.

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/18 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

carringb wrote:

How weird. Sounds like your dealer is just taking WAGs at the problem, rather than following established diagnostics tress. No way would bad gas foul only one cylinder (but low compression in that cylinder certainly will!).

If that valve was bent, it may have contacted the piston (loose valve keeper can allow this). I would push hard for a replacement motor, but using the tactic you want the piston replaced as well. Labor to replace a piston is more than swapping motors, so they might spring for it at that point. If the nick and the bent valve were actually caused by foreign debris (also likely) than that's even more reason to replace the affected cylinder. Even slight imperfections in the piston surface can cause hot-spots that can later lead to piston melt-down.

Keep track of your days without the truck, and check your state's lemon law requirements. You may be due a new truck if they can't get back on the road soon! 2-weeks is a long time for initial diagnostics, especially diagnostics may not even be complete yet.

Bryan saved me a lot of typing! [emoticon]

Total and utter incompetence. It tells me that they didn't even preform a compression test right off of the bat. This also tells me the bad gas thing was a total lie. Bryan is correct and on the money with everything he said.

Op, this dealer is totally incompetent. Sorry for your troubles and I hope things get better.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/18 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would change dealers ASAP if you can. That service department is incompetent.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Unfortunate report on new Ram
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS