Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Pre-season OHV reminder from CHP Needles
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Pre-season OHV reminder from CHP Needles

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
dedmiston

Valencia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/18 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a handful of vehicle codes that the Needles CHP office posted to Facebook as a reminder to us CA riders before the season begins.

[image]

I haven't looked up each of the codes, but it looks like they might have been editorializing about the lighted whips, because they aren't included in the code. I've heard that the state is trying to add them to the code, but that hasn't happened yet.

Section 38346 wrote:

A person shall not display a flashing or steady burning red or blue warning light on an off-highway motor vehicle except as permitted by Section 21055 or when an extreme hazard exists.

Regardless though, remember to ride safe and familiarize yourself with the pertinent regulations. And if you do get pulled over, treat the LEO nicely, because a little respect could help improve the outcome.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/18 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great reminder Dave!

dedmiston

Valencia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/18 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Y-Guy wrote:

Great reminder Dave!

Thanks. Reading between the lines (and the comments), my take-away was, "Don't give the LEOs a reason to pull you over" and "don't be a jerk if they do".

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/18 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And a reminder to the CHP:

CHP has a reputation of violating a driver's Constitutional Civil Rights (Search and Seizure) by pulling over large toy haulers heading to the dunes to check the driver's license status. We all know that motorhomes over 40' and trailers over 15,000 pounds, with CA license plates, require a Class A or B non-CDL endorsement. CHP cannot pull over a toy hauler to check for proper driver's license endorsements but they do.

Every cop is taught what is required for a traffic stop and checking a driver's license status is not one of them. An LEO must have Reasonable Suspicion that the driver has done something wrong in order to initiate a traffic stop. A traffic stop to check a driver's license doesn't fall under Reasonable Suspicion.

If you are victim of such an activity, get a lawyer and go after the offender. It goes both ways, CHP.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited

FireGuard

Ventura, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/18 10:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

And a reminder to the CHP:

CHP has a reputation of violating a driver's Constitutional Civil Rights (Search and Seizure) by pulling over large toy haulers heading to the dunes to check the driver's license status. We all know that motorhomes over 40' and trailers over 15,000 pounds, with CA license plates, require a Class A or B non-CDL endorsement. CHP cannot pull over a toy hauler to check for proper driver's license endorsements but they do.

Every cop is taught what is required for a traffic stop and checking a driver's license status is not one of them. An LEO must have Reasonable Suspicion that the driver has done something wrong in order to initiate a traffic stop. A traffic stop to check a driver's license doesn't fall under Reasonable Suspicion.

If you are victim of such an activity, get a lawyer and go after the offender. It goes both ways, CHP.

Unlike Police or Sheriff Dept, CHP can pull over any vehicle at any time for a safety inspection and don’t need probable cause for the stop.

13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

lincster

Mesa Az

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/18 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aren't some of these specific to ATVs/Razors/Caned Yams?
And on like forest roads?
I don't have to wear a helmet in my sand rail.
Speed laws??? Not in the dunes. [emoticon]
Unsafe turning movements? Does my drift at 70mph constitute unsafe? LOL

2019 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

Dirtclods

Newport Beach

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/18 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your plated a helmet is not required, but if theirs a bunch of other stuff that if it an't up to specs they'll find something to cite you for. I've always made sure I'm geared up Helmet and the others around me are as well either for dirt bikes or UTV's. I don't know how many times I've either assisted or found people all screwed up off roading and I've called in Life flight myself . And it could of been prevented . Don't just think of yourself think about people like me that are trying to have fun as well that stubble. upon accidents and stop their fun to help out others. Note: AZ and other states don't require helmets. Better safe then sorry or almost dead cuz you weren't wearing one .

* This post was edited 09/26/18 10:09am by Dirtclods *

nayther

Burbank, CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/18 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dirtclods wrote:

If your plated a helmet is not required, but if theirs a bunch of other stuff that if it an't up to specs they'll find something to cite you for. I've always made sure I'm geared up Helmet and the others around me are as well either for dirt bikes or UTV's. I don't know how many times I've either assisted or found people all screwed up off roading and I've called in Life flight myself . And it could of been prevented . Don't just think of yourself think about people like me that are trying to have fun as well that stubble. upon accidents and stop their fun to help out others. Note: AZ and other states don't require helmets. Better safe then sorry or almost dead cuz you weren't wearing one .

AMEN BRUTHA! AGATT!

DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

N-Trouble

NorCal

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/18 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There has been a lot of discussion on various UTV forums about the new “no red or blue whips” and how the law currently reads. Its still up for debate IMO. Personally I think its rediculous but then again many CA laws are... Whens the last time you saw LEO running lighted whips? Lots of whips headed to the local landfill??

2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

nayther

Burbank, CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/18 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

N-Trouble wrote:

There has been a lot of discussion on various UTV forums about the new “no red or blue whips” and how the law currently reads. Its still up for debate IMO. Personally I think its rediculous but then again many CA laws are... Whens the last time you saw LEO running lighted whips? Lots of whips headed to the local landfill??

I heard one whip company has volunteered to retrofit any of their products with white tip or top section for free.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Pre-season OHV reminder from CHP Needles
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS