Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Should I? so confused and overwhelmed.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Should I? so confused and overwhelmed.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Cuso

TX

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/18 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey guys, 1st time poster here. For over a year I've been mulling around getting a trailer for me my wife and my 2 children. Currently I'm driving a 2017 yukon. I'm getting a little overwhelmed with the trailers size, should I buy I pick up truck should I buy a trailer under 20' a trailer that's 30' or a 5th wheel. My children are 8 in 10 years old right now in up until now we have not been a very adventurous family, I would like to change that. but after going through the RV show last week in Dallas I was just absolutely overwhelmed. I know I need a bunkhouse of some sort, I don't know should I get a 5th wheel a travel trailer I'm so confused. I don't even know if I'm actually capable as a driver to pull a 30' trailer or 5th wheel. I don't know if my Yukon is a good idea to pull a trailer. In addition to going camping on long weekends with my family, I need a trailer where I can spend 1 to 2 months during the summer time traveling around in. Also I am so confused with these trailers, some of These trailers are $20000 they look so cheap on the inside. The one that my wife light was a 30' grand design bunkhouse. Definitely better quality, but 12 to $15000 more. With something like this do you go for cheap do you go for quality do you rent it out? I would like to keep my Yukon if possible, or I was even considering getting a new escalade with the more powerful engine. Is a 30' travel trailer too long for me to pull for a first time situation? I know this is the world were you kind of need to just jump in, but I just wanna be as well prepared as possible before I just pull the trigger and do it.

2oldman

Salton Sea

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/18 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jees..

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/18 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All trailers except a couple are built pretty much the same using the same appliances etc. Light weight or those billed as light weight trailers are light for a reason. The builders skimped on stuff. Do you need or want a bunk house? For weekends kids can sleep on a couch or sofa. For longer then you will want permanent beds. Adults will probably want a permanent bed also. Finding a bunk house with beds sufficiently apart to allow for cuddle time kind of means your going to want a laeger trailer. Keeping within what your SUV can tow is not going to happen if you consider the rest. So realistically if you can swing it and it will still fit your life style get a crew cab truck. A properly equipped 2500 series could easily tow a 30 foot TT or a 30 foot fifth wheel. If you want bigger, then a bigger truck could be in order. Regardless of what you decide, buy used as a first timer. Dont over think quality. All trailers now days have problems. Disregard the fluff and look for fit and and finish. That will tell you a lot.
As for towing? Fifth wheels will travel better, TTs are cheaper, but you will need substantial hitch equipment to tow as well as a fiver.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
8 years OSP Camp Host
The Other Dallas

LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/18 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would think more than just a "little" overwhelmed? Wow... my first thought (and I have been rving for 26 years with Class A's, B, C's, travel trailers and fithwheels) a 20' travel trailer with 2 children is going to be very small. Even smaller when inclement weather.

Need to find out what your Tahoe will pull in weight? My neighbor lady pulled a 27' Grey Wolf, rear bunks, front queen and one living area side with her Tahoe. But, I don't know what engine she had, etc. She had all the right set up and never towed before. She did great.

Quality? Yes, some are better but for that amount of difference in a first trailer, which you may or may not like the lifestyle is a lot.

Lots of research to do. You will get some great answers here. Good Luck.

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/18 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to the forums.

Load your gang in the Yukon and go to an RV show or two. You'll be able to check out the most common sizes and floor plans. Bring ear plugs and don't listen to anything the salesmen tells you, it's pretty much all lies. They'll tell you whatever they need to in order to make a sale.

Take notes, pictures, video, whatever, on things you like and don't like. Share your notes here and folks with similar rigs will share what they like and don't like about any particular setup.

As far as what your current ride can carry, I'm not well enough versed in trailer weights to give you anything substantive. I can tell you, your owners manual should have some info on towing, and there's a sticker inside the driver's door that will tell you what your exact vehicle can handle in terms of weight. Usually you'll run out of payload rating before you run out of tow capacity.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

accsys

Green Cove Springs, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/18 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The first thing you need to do is look up the weight ratings on your Yukon according to the tow package installed on it. That will tell you the max weight you can tow and it will depend somewhat on how much the Yukon weighs fully loaded as well. One you know that maximum weight you can tow, you will eliminate many of the trailers you may be considering. Don't try to fudge the weights. If it's over the weight you should be towing, don't do it, especially as a first time driver towing. Once you know what you should and should not be towing it's just a matter of finding what you want within those limits.

If the trailer you must have is too heavy that means you will have to get rid of the Yukon and get something that will tow more weight. Even the Escalade may not be enough.

You are not going to buy your last RV first so my suggestion would be to buy something you can afford easily. You may even find you or your family do not like the lifestyle. When you have gained more knowledge on RVing, then you can be concerned about getting higher quality and maybe something you will want to keep for several years. Besides, buying lower quality at first will give you the opportunity to learn more about fixing things that will inevitably pop up. [emoticon]

John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2007 Tiffin Phaeton QDH 40 w/Cat 7 350
2004 Liberty Renegade 4x4 Toad
Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar
Air Force One toad braking system
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Optimistic Paranoid

East Nowhere NY

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/18 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First of all, you do NOT want to buy a new trailer. Depreciation on RVs is absolutely BRUTAL. Savvy buyers let some other idiot eat the depreciation. For more on that, see:

https://camperreport.com/rv-depreciation-everything-possibly-want-know/

As far as your current 2017 Yukon, you can find the 2017 GMC Trailering Guide here:

https://www.gmc.com/content/dam/gmc/na/u........MTB16CT000-2017-gmc-trailering-guide.pdf

You can learn a lot from hanging out on forums like this and watching YouTube videos. But if you want a more formal, organized education, consider attending on of Escapee's RVers Boot Camps. More info here:

https://www.escapees.com/education/rvers-boot-camp/

Lwiddis

Los Angeles :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/18 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Tahoe, your twin, pulls my 5,200 TT (wet) just fine! However, I would not tow over 6,000 with this SUV. My payload is 1595 but its only DW and me. We keep very little stuff in the Tahoe.

"Is a 30' travel trailer too long for me to pull" No its not but I like pulling a TT. However, if you like to dry camp/boondock and drive forest roads, the longer the TT the less spots you will be able to access.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/18 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you are a great candidate for renting an RV for a week. Doesn't matter if it's a motorhome or trailer - just try one out and see if you all will even like it. This will also give you an idea of what you will want in size and layout. After this trip, then you can list what you like and don't like about the lifestyle. THEN you can start looking at RVs.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Chrisatthebeach

The beautiful low country of South Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/18 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We started out with a used good quality 29 foot travel trailer and 1/2 ton Suburban with a basic draw tight weight distribution hitch and friction sway bar. The first few tows were not comfortable on the interstates with trucks passing and the bow wave of air pushing me around. Later I upgraded to a Reese Dual Cam setup which was very much better. Eventually upgrading to the F250 and that travel trailer was much more comfortable to tow, it felt like it was on rails behind me and towing was not a chore anymore.
I eventually upgraded to a 5th wheel, and while it did seem more stable on the road, I think the travel trailer with the propely adjusted dual cam hitch did just as good.

Start out used with a good quality well maintained unit, the depreciation is mostly done if it has a few years on it, plus if it was owned by someone that took good care of it most of the bugs have been worked out.

The short wheelbase of the Tahoe is the limiting factor that you have, much more than a 20 foot trailer is not going to be a comfortable tow, you will have your hands full especially on interstates.

Chris & Dianne
Jayco Designer 3110 SOLD 6-11-2016, looking for the next one.
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Should I? so confused and overwhelmed.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS