Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Should I? so confused and overwhelmed.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Should I? so confused and overwhelmed.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/18 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We rented a trailer before buying, learned a LOT in that one week camping with it.

We then purchased a used 17' hybrid travel trailer (full height hard sided travel trailer with tent ends) with two toddlers. It was awesome. Eventually I wanted to get rid of the tents for various reasons so we moved to a 24' travel trailer. Still have it now with the same two kids as teenagers. Yes we have to convert the couch and dinette for beds. It works fine for us.

Don't 'need' a 30' bunkhouse to camp and have fun.

New addition! 2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

old setup:
1998 Ford E350 extended van, V10, 3.73
1998 Fleetwood Terry 22lw

2oldman

Salton Sea

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/18 02:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Optimistic Paranoid wrote:

First of all, you do NOT want to buy a new trailer. Depreciation on RVs is absolutely BRUTAL. Savvy buyers let some other idiot eat the depreciation.
That only applies when and if you sell it.

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/18 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donn0128 wrote:

All trailers except a couple are built pretty much the same using the same appliances etc. Light weight or those billed as light weight trailers are light for a reason. The builders skimped on stuff...
Or they used materials that are just as strong but lighter. Which is why the don't build airplanes out of wood anymore and also why airstreams cost more and last forever.

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/18 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

oops

Optimistic Paranoid

East Nowhere NY

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/18 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

First of all, you do NOT want to buy a new trailer. Depreciation on RVs is absolutely BRUTAL. Savvy buyers let some other idiot eat the depreciation.
That only applies when and if you sell it.

Huh. I wonder what percentage of new RV buyers actually keep it more than 5 to 7 years? I'm not sure where we would find studies of that kind of thing, but anecdotal evidence from the different forums suggest, to me, at least, that it's a pretty low number.

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/18 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Consider a smaller travel trailer and tenting the kids if you're worried about how much you can tow.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

2oldman

Salton Sea

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/18 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huh. I wonder what percentage of new RV buyers actually keep it more than 5 to 7 years?
I don't know, but I bought with the firm intention to never sell. After 15 years I think I made the right choice, and I didn't end up buying someone else's problems. New is real nice.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/18 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A major change in lifestyle is what is overwhelming you. This is a major purchae and it can be scary. Will the wife and Kids love it as much as you think you will or... hate it? hard to predict

A 5er usally has an "upper bunk" which may excite the kids. perhaps a bit more total inside room.. They are easier to back up and tow. but... If you put a cover on the bed of your pick up (or a "Cap") then with a TT you have a Storage room for extra "Stuff". .. So.. Recommendations I can only give one.

Jump on in .. THe water is fine.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/18 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's a lot there and you've already gotten some good advice. I will summarize mine in three points...

1) Know your limits. Make sure your truck and trailer are a good match or you may very well end up having to shell out a lot more than expected to replace things moving forward. Payload, tow ratings, GVWR, GCWR, RAWR, Tongue weight...these are all terms you should be sure to understand before you pull the trigger on the purchase of a trailer or a truck!

2) Take your time. Dip your tow in the water. Rent a unit at a local campground for a weekend as a first try, then maybe drive to a more intriguing destination and rent one for a week. Owning an RV is a lifestyle (and an expensive one). If being in a trailer once or twice a year for a few nights is enough, there are easier and cheaper ways to make that happen. If you find that you all love it, you can jump in deeper. You can start experiencing the opportunities now, but make sure it's for you before you go all in.

3) Don't be afraid to post questions here, but try to focus in on them one or two at a time. Online responses drift in a million directions in a hurry. The more concise you can be with your questions, the more helpful we can be with our responses.

Good luck!

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/18 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree about renting a trailer first.
Determine if the lifestyle fits you and your family first.

Dan- Firefighter">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 Ecoboost, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Should I? so confused and overwhelmed.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS