Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: 275 HP Cummins diesel on a 31' coach
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> 275 HP Cummins diesel on a 31' coach

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
dmatt

Ventura County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/18 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[email protected] wrote:

The rule of thumb is NO MORE than 100 lbs / HP. So adding your GVWR + the toad weight, and dividing by 275, comes to 101.5 lbs/HP.

So that rig is just over the recommended. You might check to see if the engine can be chipped for more HP (usually no more then 50 HP if I recall is possible) and if the tranni could handle the extra HP, but only if the RV is a great deal.

And of course, it never hurts to just go up hills slowly. My old '94 Cummins 190 HP would occasionally get down to 25 MPH going up a long hill and sometimes even as low as 15 MPH, BUT, it got a good solid 10 MPG too.

Now with my 330HP Cat, I'm at 88 lbs/HP so I'm pleased with that, but it only gets 8.4 MPG.

Thanks for that, great formula to know. Interestingly, they put the same engine in the 33' version as well so I'd assume it would struggle even more!

Just the two of us, soon to be retired folks
Madison-the loveable old lady of the dog clan
Riley-our rescued Black Lab
Scout-the new crazy Australian Shepherd puppy

Our camping photos

dmatt

Ventura County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/18 02:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac and discovery4us: It looks like it is a subjective issue based on what the owner expects/wants. I appreciate your input as I'll have to weigh these issues as to what's best for us.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/18 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

More important than anything else, make sure that Cummins isn't a #53 block.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

Ductape

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/18 08:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

More important than anything else, make sure that Cummins isn't a #53 block.

Not at all, it’s the 5.0 V8.

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

[email protected]

Gresham, OR, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/18 10:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dmatt wrote:

Thanks for that, great formula to know. Interestingly, they put the same engine in the 33' version as well so I'd assume it would struggle even more!

Yes, you do see that, but you also see that those RV with less than adequate HP are of lighter (aka cheaper) construction. I checked that out over the years and it seemed to hold true. If you inspected a longer RV with the same HP engine found in shorter RVs, the quality of the interior and exterior components suffered and they seemed to be lighter in general. So you'd have lightweight cabinetry, few steel framed pieces of furniture, smaller and lighter mattress, thinner roof and side walls, and so forth. Just something to be aware of.

[email protected]
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/18 11:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hotjag1 wrote:

My guess is that you will be going about the same speed up hills with the 275 hp diesel or the V-10. The big difference is that you won't have an engine screaming at 4000 rpm right beside you if you go with the diesel.

Banks Power Pack System and 5 Star Tuning takes care of the high RPM's on the 2006 and newer V-10's in the mountains, ask how I know..

[emoticon]

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/18 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timmac wrote:

hotjag1 wrote:

My guess is that you will be going about the same speed up hills with the 275 hp diesel or the V-10. The big difference is that you won't have an engine screaming at 4000 rpm right beside you if you go with the diesel.

Banks Power Pack System and 5 Star Tuning takes care of the high RPM's on the 2006 and newer V-10's in the mountains, ask how I know..

[emoticon]
Test drive the Breeze and test drive a similar size gas MH see how each handles. There are other issues beside performance to look at. But to answer the OP, a good test is to time what it takes to go from 40-60 MPH the MH with the shortest time will have the better performance. As DP's get shorter the HP goes down. A gas MH will have the same HP in a 39ft MH all the way down to a 24 ft MH. Also think that DP's are maybe twice the weight of equal length MH's. So a 362 HP 30 ft gas MH that weights maybe 13,000 lbs compared to a 30 ft DP with 275 HP that weights maybe 26,000 lbs will have much better performance.

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/18 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your looking for smaller diesel with big engine and you don't mind buying used/orphan check out the Country Coach 32' - nice rig and probably for sale in Oregon.

Kevin

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/18 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Small coach/big engine:

Foretravel U320 No slide 36'. M11 Cummins 450 HP. Allison 4000 with retarder.

Brett Wolfe
2003 Alpine 38'

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

dmatt

Ventura County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/18 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, I really would like to stay under 34' so that we can hit all the Nat'l and state parks. That's why the Breeze is so attractive.

As for used, I have considered that but I think for our first diesel I would like to go new

* This post was edited 09/27/18 11:44am by dmatt *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> 275 HP Cummins diesel on a 31' coach
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS